Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Hong Kong

Not applicable
Anyone been recently? I am planning a trip that side in a few weeks (kinda a 4 day stopover) and wanted to get some "on the ground" advise from others than have been. What to see outside the usual tourist cr@p and where to eat, public transport best advise etc. Been told Octapuss card best but I like walking/exploring street level and believe Kowloon not that big anyway so could almost walk everywhere. HK Island any good? Any Ideas? Tnx
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I was there years ago (spent 3 weeks) .. expect to be blown away in every possible way ..
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Cps. You are litterally a 200 RMB train ride away from the Southern Industrial hub of Guangzhou, Foshan and Shenzen. Dont get me wrong. Hong Kong is impressive in a Asian London kinda way. You can however only experience China, Its people and potential by visiting the mainland.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err .. you don't go to HK to expereince china .. surely nobody suggests that ??
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Simon. CPS expressly stated he didnt want to do the usual Tourist stuff. Its only my opinion that Kowloon and the Mountain can be explored in a day maximum.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Platsak, thanks. I will look into it and see if I need a visa to do that trip. HK no visa needed but I think past new teritories and north you need a visa to travel. If so I will goto embassy to get one anyway. I am in the area so might even extend trip by a few days and do Beijing etc.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Visa is easy to obtain. In Hatfield, PTA. I will send you a form if you want. In my 10 od trips there I have compiled a list with the chinese writing and english of some of the places to visit. If you cannot make it now consider going up with me next april roundabout the time of the Canton fair.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Don't you guys have the travel channel on your dstv.It's a lot cheaper!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Cannot sleep in travel chanel beds, et the food they cook, or take my own breath away standing on top on Great wall..so cheaper, cannot say Dont have DSTV, actually watch very little TV as a matter of fact.
0 Kudos
S2000
Contributor
HK is great and if you comparing to Mainland China then there is no comparison. As all say you will need visa for China but when I travel there get from their Sandhurst consulate in a few days. Kowloon is quite small and in my times there have walked it flat. On my last trip I did the HK side, up the mountain and to the zoo if only to see the Pandas. Then Monkok again for shopping. If you have time go further out to some of the monastries. I personally hate mainland have done Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Ningbo etc - found it miserable and very very polluted. In all the weeks I have spent there have never seen a blue sky. Depends on what you want to experience. I just love HK walking around Nathan round and the sidestreets at night and then along the harbour area.
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Once you arrive in Hong Kong you can apply for the day pass Turboferry to Shenzen as it only takes about 40 minutes. You can get the day visa at the airport. Make a trip to Shane Custom Tailors in Kowloon. A bit on the expensive side comparatively with their tailored suits but beautifully made. Enjoy.
0 Kudos