Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How many of you are anti smokers

john_1
Super Contributor
How many of you would not owna BATS share on moral grounds.
0 Kudos
74 REPLIES 74
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
What making money from somebodys filthy habit - no problem with that.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Me,my other died of lung cancer caused by smoking and my father 's duodenal ulcer went away after he was persuaded to give up smoking!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
ps thats my mother died from lung cancer.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not so much moral grounds, but I hope that their business nose-dives and I bad-mouth their product at every opportunity (the only product sold legally that kills when used exactly as the manufacturer intended), so it would seem somewhat hypocritical to own their shares. I have, however, owned tobacco shares indirectly through unit trusts and index trackers.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Timato,i miss your posts,please post more regularly!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
My own view is that its hypocritical of govenments to claim to try stop smoking when they are the largest benificiary of the business...BAT makes 0.12euro cents a pack and the govenments make 3 euro off a pack. I also take the view that as every smoker knows that it is bad for you. It is entirly their indaba..I would feel diffrently if the dangers were still been concealed....Also Cars kill more people doing exactly what they are intended for.Should we make cars illigal...what about guns.. or peanut butter..(allergic reactions of some are fatal.)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Smokers cost the government a lot of money in hospitals etc where smokers are cared for. The govt and society should be compensated for what it costs society. Therefore the govt should make a lot out of every packet of cigarettes and use this to benefit society
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
A seemingly logical answer if the all the money was used for health care which it is not..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Every smoker knows it is bad - but it is also highly addictive - it interferes with such basic neuronal function that even the little nematode Caenorhabditis elegans, with only 302 nerves in its body, can become addicted (humans have about 100 billion). Cars also kill, but only when you drive in a risky manner or there is a mechanical failure. Excess fat, sugar, etc may kill, but small quantities are beneficial. The number of deaths due to smoking far outweighs any other cause as the biggest crisis in public medicine - about 50% of life-long smokers die from it. Maternal smoking does more damage to the feotus's brain than maternal crack cocaine use. The stuff (I could use harsher language) should be as banned just as heroin and cocaine are, except of course (1) tax revenues and (2) tourism (not all international tourists want to go cold turkey).
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Also if this is the case then why can I not start a health care fund that excludes smokers..As 1 in 10 deaths are from smoke related ilnesses I could make health care for the none smoker hugely cheaper if I am to allowed to exclued smokers.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes,i understand where u are coming from,but smoking is a insiduous infector of health.We try to control guns and have rules for driving on open roads and hope allerigic persons will take precautions as far as possible.Of cours these days they have to carry warnings ,which is a step forward,how ever i've seen our youth buying single cigerettes form cafes anf then there are no warnings issued,once they are hooked they ignore the warnings,probably thinking its an allergic reaction or something!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thinking about this again, maybe we can ban nicotine and then become an internationally-renowned "cold turkey" destination...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
here is why I think smoking kills you.... If we are all one breath from death it serves to reason that breathing = life. what smokers are good at doing is stopping what they are doing and focus on their breathing they light up and take a deap breath... if you knowingly ingest through the act of breathing what you know might kill you. There must be a deap pychological desire to hurt or even kill yourself...ie with each breath you knowingly breath in a little bit of death..eventually it will kill you. Also to much of anything will kill you..protien, fat, sugur even water...and its the lack of moderation that kills due to the addiction.. 20 a day...who the ***** does 20 a day of anything...
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
20 a day knocks 8 years off your life expectancy - 1 a day knocks off about 4 years. Don't think that moderation will save anyone. The toxins in smoke poison one from the smallest amount, unlike sugar, fat, etc. which are nutrients that are beneficial and even required by the body, and only become harmful when consumed in excess.
0 Kudos
tangot
Occasional Contributor
Hate smoke. If you take cigarettes, alcohol and sex away, it will reduce the load in goverment hospitals with at least 80%. All they do over weekends are treating stab and gunshot wounds and car accident patients caused by people under the influence. 90% of patients with stomach ulcers and more than 80% of patients in the medical ward have chronic bronchitis due to due to smoking. I do not have to explain the effect of sexual transmitted disease and AIDS. People have money for booze and bear but cannot afford anything else.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Yeah, and I suppose none of you drink or own SAB either??
0 Kudos