Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How many of you are anti smokers

ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
No its not, i will have to move somewhere else cause i have been addicted to smoking for 15 years and only took it up to get of all the other serious drugs that i use to take before. Kind of swoping and evil for a lesser evil. I have come down to less than 20 a day and that is fine by me.
0 Kudos
HiSo
Frequent Contributor
What if you made money shorting BAT ? Would that be ok for those taking the moral high-ground ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Perhaps not a psychological desire to kill oneself. Sometimes a smoker, when he/she is bored, feels that lighting up, flicking ash off, inhaling etc, is entertaining to the smoker and observers. Some may feel that people may care for them if they are hurting themselves.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I don't want BAT, on moral grounds. We all have fuzzy rules I guess, but I just don't like the idea that a company is working to make me money which as a byproduct reduces the lifespan of others, mostly a growth business in developing nations where the pickings are easy.

Beer is less directly damaging, in my opinion, so I don't mind. Same as many products - up to how it's used, whereas smoking is very likely going to damage a good percentage of users. And I have no opinion of those that want to own BAT - it's just my own preference.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
That would be fantastic - hope to make millions doing just that as governments get serious with this issue.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Have you tried extreme sports, like dirt biking or rock climbing?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
We are talking about the most consumed product on the planet..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Smoking may also partly be an act of rebellion. In one survey it was found that pupils who were beaten for smoking actually increased their smoking when generally smoking in the district was in a decline
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
Yes i like smoking and flirting with death may make one feel more alive kind of like doing extreme sports which i also like to do. I have suffered from great bouts of depression when i was younger but after not worring to much about anything including death these days i feel okey with the idea of taking a few of my later years in exchange for some good ones now that i am still willing and able to participate in adventurous activity. I do not intent to sit around in an old age home waiting for death.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
I own Bat and don't care how they make there money, cos I also own SAB and there products probably cause even more deaths or related. We won't go into uranium and waste pollution and greenhouse gas emmissions and....
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
John - interesting post. the morality of woning shares. I have heard people tell me that they wont own shares like Distell (booze), Rainbow (battery hens), Bats (smoking), BHP and Anglo for their carbon emissions for example. But many of the same people proundly profess how well their General Equity unit Trusts are doing. It makes one think. There is so much cross holding in major shares and unit trusts, that once anyone actually starts saving in these vehicles that it is hard to be completely morally clean. So my view is that if you are going to invest, be open, and if you have moral issues use your profits to spread your word. By the way I dont smoke, I would love to hold BATS, have had Cancer (albeit not lung cancer), I love Distell and KWV and hold both, and I am pretty sure I hold some Rainbow somewhere.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I must say that smoking is a personal choice,but CAUSING HARM TO OTHERS IS NOT!....Nothing so far has been said about others around smokers.Yes for years i was a second-hand smoker,inhaling the fumes of smokers at work ,at home and at play.To a certain degree smokers are protected by i think nicotene from th cartogenic effects of smoke,but for us second-hand smokers there is no protection!....I don't want to labout the point but as an Asmatic i have found this filthy habit has affected my health in a bad way....i donn't want to use the E word as i'm, fighting it and hopefully winning at this stage anyway!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Barry the big drive by the tobacco companies is smoke free tobacco...snuff and that stuff you put on your gums... trully a great idea for the non smoker as it will remove the second hand smoke issue
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Good luck in your battle with 'E'!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
unfortunately,ideas,seem to remain just that,ideas!
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
Barry last night i was sitting in a bar and again felt sorry for the non smokers in there, i mean when i am in a room and people smoke i can hardly breath unless i smoke one myself.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Steel is used to make armaments. Food is used to supply armies etc. What is clean? But smoking is particularly bad. If only non-smokers were allowed to buy BAT shares they would have some compensation for the trouble smoking causes when BAT goes up
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
The zoning off of the bars here in Grahamstown has made a huge difference to enjoying a beer at the Rat and Parrot. Smokers in a sealed off section upstairs and non-smokers downstrairs. We always used to talk abou the "Rat smell" after a couple and you just had to wash your kit. Now I save on washing powder. I must say I am enjoying the smoke free zones.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
what a bunch of hypocrites how many of you own coal shares, if you all feel strongly about smoking why dont you all go up in arms over toxic pollution the world over, and maybe ride a bicycle to work or maybe live in biejing.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The tobacco companies are working very hard at this smokless tobacco for just this reason..as you can ingest it anywere so all the non smoking bans would no longer apply...its what I love about humans.. were there is a will there is a way.
0 Kudos