Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How many of you are anti smokers

john_1
Super Contributor
This is from the medical schemes councils website.". May a medical scheme determine contributions on the basis of individual high claims or provide for discounted or preferred rates in respect of a particular group of members/clients for whatever reason? No, contributions may only be based on a member's income and/or the number of his dependants or both. The contributions apply universally to all members who are enrolled and their dependants.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
This is a moral dilemma. Personally I'd feel guilty to get a dividend from a company which products cause so much pain, tears and destruction. The intention of these companies was never to create unhealthy products; it just turned out to be a major benefactor of various health problems. Then again, when I decided to invest some money through Allan Grey, they didn't ask me if I would have a moral problem with an investment in BAT. As a result I could be a benefactor and not even be aware of it. This is a dog eats dog world we are living in.
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
It also makes alot of people happy, satiesfied and joyfull.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Wow, just checked, and Allan Grey and the fund I'm invested in own millions of BAT shares. I guess I'm indirectly a benefactor of their products then. Well, lets just say I won't willingly buy their shares then.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Go to the Moneyweb site, use the tools tab, and check how many unit trusts hold BATS - there must be well over a hundred. AG - Balanced, Stable, Optimal and Equity fund collectively hold over a billion rand in BATs.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Ha ha - the Discovery Health Target Retirement Funds hold some as well - that is humour. Talk about hedging your bets.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
just had a thought...if govenments want to stop smoking the answer does not lie in increasing taxation..but capping the price at which it can be sold...if it become unprofitable to make, grow and sell over time.. people will simply not be able to get their hands on the stuff.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
why go to all these lengths to stop smoking its someones personal choice and as long as non smokers are not effected by it (secondary smoke not emotional issues)then no problem.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I do not think it should be stopped I just said if you wanted to stop it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Is freedom of choice not eroded by the highly addictive nature of the product? Should all hard drugs be legalised in the name of personal choice?
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
how many car accidents are caused by smoking, as apposed to alcahol?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For as long as the government makes more money than the cigarrete makers. Look at this, in drugs druglords make more money and surely they won't share it with the government hence it is illegal. They will keep on saying smoking is dangerous but won't stop pocketing from it, I can gladly buy BAT if i had the money.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
yes... it would be in socities benifit if the power of blackmarket cartels and drug lords was diminished... no more people would use drugs becuase they are legal..no Junkie cares if it is legal or not.he only cares if its available..and by providing quality clean drugs vs cut tainted and downright harmful back yard concoctions we would go along way to help those who suffer from these terrible addictions...not to mention the tax revenues.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
And you are always free to start! it is at that moment that you make the choice and at that moment you are not addicted.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Perfectly right Timato but on the same basis where do you draw the line. Gambling, alcohol, chocolate and even sex to name a few are addictions.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Not nearly as many...you drink before you have sex and smoke afterwards.. you can hardly blame the acidents that happen 9 months later on the cigarette.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
None for either. For both, you need a car. That's the real menace. Short cars.

0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Did some research into the medical schemes act... looks like you can not dicriminate unfairly...my question to the lawyers is this... if it can be proved that smoking is bad for your health is that not fair dicrimination...
0 Kudos
dilligaff
Super Contributor
Everything in moderation, including moderation itself, leads on eot achieve better balance in life
Life itself is addictive and what worked for me previously including falling into a beer glass as often as possible and smoking 20 Camels a day doesn't anymore...
Celebrated my 5th year in remission from NHL on Monday so understand how strongly Barry feels about it...
Comes back to personal choice, and based on most comments here, most folks can find more ways to justify what they do or invest in (or don't!!) than there are documented ways to skin a cat...
Are you comfortable with what you do, and can you sleep easily at night?
0 Kudos