Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How much down side

Not applicable
After our ministers article on MTN to remain a SA company how much negative impact do the followers of this gem see on the price. Off a little today and TA says down but my sights say about 121 is support or is it 118?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nobody took those comments seriously .. share holders will decide if the deal goes through, not gov ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Agreed, I know it is just posturing but does the PIC not hold about 21% and the shareholders need 80% to approve the deal? so if PIC (Goverment pensions fund) are just gonna be sticky will the deal not be delayed and then some idiot at COSATU will file another court application fearing massive job losses and all that c**p again?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
PIC have 11.7% .. 75% vote required .. an PIC and gov are not the same, that said PIC already said first offer not enough ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Public Investment Corp., the South African government pension fund administrator, owns 24 percent of MTN and had raised several concerns about the tie-up, according to Nene, who is also the PIC's chairman.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, their website says 13,50% .. http://www.pic.gov.za/Inveloper.asp?iS={F8D1AADF-114F-4302-90A9-D44576C238A8}&iP=7&iVctg=318 .. an they didn;t like as they wanted more money, as does everybody ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well seems everyone is wanting a bite of this one. Now ICASA wants to be notified of share exchanges and possible public consultation. More postering to avoid the blame game but public perception does affect carry some weight. Never traded this share before but just got interested in the dynamics and remembered when everyone was discussing it at 114/118 a while ago. lets see where we go this week and the remainder of the month. When this deal goes through and I believe it is close to being announced, what outlook for the sahre. I remember a few punts at 140 odd going through the forum....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
New article about ICASA "blocking" the deal this year.
http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page292518?oid=317769&sn=2009%20Detail&pid=287226
and as I said earlier everyone wants a bite of this apple.

"COSATU said on Sunday it would judge the MTN/Bharti deal on its merits, particularly its effect on jobs."

So we might not see this deal hapmen this year again. Silly posturing stances and i think many an official has to cover their rear early to avoid the same disgrace they inflicted on themselves with Vodacom deal.
0 Kudos