Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How much money do u begin with if u want to play the stocks for a living

asylum
Super Contributor
the only way for mere mortals is to day trade, if youre disciplined you can make an above average income, with no worries what the market will do overnight,and it does not matter wether the market is in a bull or bear market its all good for day trading, omo.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
asylum - not true .. there are many ways, day trading but one of them ..
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
You need more money than you would need to buy a good take away franchise which would give you a much better return. Admittedly with all the headaches of owning a business that has suppliers, customers, a landlord and staff.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
@ the one-How old are you?Do you have dependants?At present,are you in a full time job?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Louisg - I wouldnt want to draw down on my capital too much - you never know when a market crash is going to happen. All would have looked very rosy last year in August, and then not so lekka in November. I think to "retire" on dividends, you must have some cash backed away anyway, maybe earning money market interest rates, or some other form of investment such as property rental. I would feel a touch unsafe with only my share portfolio providing my income. Still I reckon it could be done on about 3 mill worth. IMHO. All this is speculative, since I dont have 3 mill handy!!!!!
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
ja you see if your a day trader it does not matter if the market crashes and burns makes absolutely not one iota difference, thats the beauty of day trading, now name another strategy that you can rely on that isnt going to eat you up when the market crashes ( stop loss startegy maybe but as most of us know that hardly ever works alway getting taken out for some or other reason, anyways i still stand by Day Trading, im my humble op.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
I should have stated that the 2% capital withdrawal would only be an initial withdrawal. Assuming ones standard of living would remain the same, the increasing REAL (after inflation) div payments will relieve one of the need to withdrawal the 2% capital. After a certain period one would NOT need to withdrawal any capital. As the divs increase one reduces the capital withdrawals. In fact over time the REAL increase of the div payments will allow one to INCREASE ones standard of living. This is assuming of course that the divs INCREASE over time in real terms.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Thanks for your response Jezebel. If you are interested, I have responded to Blik below.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am 31 with a wife and kids and is cuurently in fulll tim e employeement
0 Kudos