Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How to: Buy Stocks on NYSE?

Not applicable
Hi Everyone, How do we go about buying shares from a company on the new york stock exchange? Can we do it through standardbank Online share Trading? Thanks
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, buy the TOPI or ALSI, its the same as buying the S&P 500 in rands
0 Kudos
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
No Rams, he asked how to buy into a specific stock on the NYSE. Also, how does ALSI etc equate to the S&P500? Please explain.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
was a friday joke... you cant buy on OST. Look at todays post by Simon and Skaap and the follow thru under :Alsi triangle support trendline by christos. Dont go to the bottom of the thread, its been f$@kd....
0 Kudos
MTJ
Contributor
check out the likes of etrade or tdameritrade if you want to trade in the US markets
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Use a fund with international exposure ETF ect,Sanlam launching a new oversees fund, and if I remember PSG you can invest in overseas stocks(a small selection) but you better have a few bar handy..o and safex u can go the ssf route in a few international co..better phone them and ask
0 Kudos
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
Sorry Rams, I was just interested in a answer. I did not mean to sound critical of your reply. It was meant to be in a friendly tone :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There was a post not too long ago on the same subject. Consensus is that their are no true ETF's in SA that offer real international exposure, since they are all bound by reserve bank requirements to have a percentage in local currency / stock. The only true international EFT, is the DBX tracker range. If you want stocks, you have to take your money offshore and use something like TD Ameritrade.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thaks everyone, was hoping to get into the LinkedIn IPO .. too late now :)
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
just some humour.....no offence was taken but why you up so early in the morning?
0 Kudos