Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How to survive the bear

Not applicable
#call it a 'healthy retrace' instead of a bear. #hard drink #soft drugs ..and stop losses..
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
john_1
Super Contributor
or a head size hole in the sand!!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Be very very wary of highly geared instruments. We've been sticking to instalments for months now and I was just starting to feel like a move back to SSFs. And while my losses on IMPSTA are ugly I can at least wait it out, SSFs it would be margin calls and forced selling. No coming back. N0.1 - Preservation of capital - and this really shows you why.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I totaly agree, for the private trader who has not got the time to spend every minute with rock solid disipline at their computer( and that rules me out) ssf are not for me. Instalments have time on my side, give me plenty of gearing and pays me a tax free div. Happy days!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Speaking of happy days - SOL looks like a buy at 266/7. Support. Now, do I have the balls.
0 Kudos
Beep_Beep
Super Contributor
I been following you guys and the comments about instalments and ssf's. Instalments definitely the way to go.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I hope not.... so let Gravy make the trade.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Yip Beep. Manage risk and you'll survive. And as John says intalments give you time - often that's all you need and it can be the most valuable asset you have. You can't meet a margin on SSFs and it's all over - often forcing you to sell into the panic and at the worst possible time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
SSF trading on the JSE outstrips other exchanges, as we read a week or so back. Not a good thing. Kinda makes us the Ponzi capital of the world.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
..we've been stopped out all over, so have some cash to spend. Sol is on crucial support - we'll soon know if weze right or wrong.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I see the suport at the 266 level, This sell off may take a day or 2 so I see no reason to rush. S oI will sit on the side lines, I am short the index for a little champs money!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Kudos for being short. Well done!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Just started reading again "Reminiscences of a Stock Trader"so thoughtfully given as a present to us by Richard Sneddon last year.Ominous to say the least.might be better to have short stop losses on resources.Probably not the time to quote Henry Ford as he went phut three times succeeding,but anyway here goes..."You can do anything if you have enthusiasm.Enthusuasm is the yeast thats makes your hopes rise to the stars.Enthusiasm is the spark in your eyes,the grip of your hand,the irrestible serge of your will and the energy to execute ideas.It is at the bottom of all progress."Lekker Dag vir almal!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Sidelines it is today. More renovations.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
TOPDWT - What a winner this week, I'm comfortable that it will win again today - 280% up for the week so far!!!!!!! I reckon another 30% to be squeezed today....anybody have the appetite???
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Risk is too high to go short now - I think there's a better risk - reward ratio if you go long, but (as always) let's wait for an uptick, which should give us a great buying opportunity ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Word out on the street today is there's going to be a carnival
0 Kudos