Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

How to trade in stocks by Jesse Livermore

Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Hi All, I downloaded a pdf of this book (1940 edition) from the internet (its free). I suggest that you read it. I found it interesting to see how much science is applied to speculation.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Its a great book, i have a hardcopy which i bought many years back!
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
its incredible to read how much science this guy actually used to do his trading. Although he is described as a speculator, I do not believe that he was one. Great insight as to how to think about doing trades.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, and he was so successful many times, but also bankrupted himself a few times, but always recovered, until the tragic end... Regardless of what some people like to think, mathematics is important in developing a proper model for trading! his Pivot Points ideas etc were very interesting to read about!
0 Kudos
MMouse
Contributor
You need to read his first book "REMINISCENCES OF A STOCK OPERATOR" which is also available as a Pdf book. It was first published in 1923. It gives another side of the person and how he made and lost his money.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol. yes, i got that one too... but that wasnt written by him personally .
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
So, we have Soros, who was convicted of insider trading,James Simons, who is possibly Maddof, and Jesse who bankrupted and shot himself......is this desperation?
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Rams, you miss the point. It not about these people as individuals. Its about learning and educating ones self. Its taking some of their good ideas and using that to help you become a better trader. Thats what its all about i.e education, education education...If one chooses to be a crook, then that's ones own personal value system.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Soros wasnt convicted of insider trading, was something completely different...still havent got it right.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Billionaire investor George Soros lost a challenge to his 2002 insider trading conviction, with the European Court of Human Rights saying French market regulations were clear enough to hold him responsible. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-06/soros-loses-human-rights-appeal-against-insider-trading-cas...
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@Rams...Take the good lessons.....leave the bad lessons...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sorry, I didnt know about that. You were right, I thought you were thinking of something else. Anyways thanks for backing it up.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
You welcome...been reading some about him....seems even Obama admin needed his expertise after the crash in 2008.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
in his book he also mentions he spoke to Nelson Mandela, Nelson asked him (in the 90s) whether the government should interfere with the weakening rand, he tells all governments "dont interfere it will only cost you"
0 Kudos