Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

I am in

Not applicable
Any company posting an 80% increase in earnings is a buy, in my opinion. And Curro did it by increasing student count from 22k to 27k. So a 22% increase in students resulted in an 80% increase in earnings - that spells efficiency gains in my book. Who knows what sort of cash can be generated if they hit their 80k learner target.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
topgun
Super Contributor
On a PE of 192x? If you want to invest in the private education space, ADH is a much more attractive option with significantly better valuation metrics. A more energetic CEO and the decision to invest another R3bn into the business will furthermore spur future growth rates. Omo
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
3 year performance COH 232% ADH 49%. So much for high PE. Been long COH the minute it crossed R20, aiming to buy some more above R30, then R40, R50, and then R60
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
We are discussing valuation and relative investment (note) merit at today's price levels. Thanks for making my point.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Skaap - I quite like this company, or at least the idea. I have been adding for a while. I like it for a few reasons: my wife teaches at a "high price" private school - not a Curro school have you - and I see the value in what people are prepared to pay for a decent education for their kids. I see how passionate the teachers, at this school, are about teaching and people who are passionate about their jobs tend to get things done right, and while this might not apply to all, or any, Curro schools for that matter, and might not be a solid accounting basis for a valuation, it does give me a warm feeling, since surely it will apply to some. Curro has recently bought some high price private schools in KZN recently, however whether they can turn what might be a decent idea or model, into a profitable business is up to Curro management. And for that I like Oom Jannie. Obviously I would like to see the PE drop, but I understand that this sort of business might take a few years to show real returns. Anyway, if it drops, I might buy some more.
0 Kudos
IAM
Contributor
I have a number of friends who currently or who previously have taught at Curro schools. All of them are desperate to get out and teach at the old government model C schools. The teaching conditions at the Curro schools are awful and the pay is terrible. They take the jobs there straight out of teaching college and then when they get the experience they move. It does make me worry about the supposed superior quality education you get from them. I think long term the sustainability of paying poorly will come back to haunt them
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
First of all the stripey horse and the Topgun are right. Second of all PSG is the owner - a mixed blessing at best at worst...Third of all fee paying schools ratio of current expenditure to income is always too high. They are therefore by definition capital hungry and lastly I am not sure where you get 80 000 learners from the last target on the info page was 40 000 by 2020 which seems possible. That would be another 9 -10 schools.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Advtech is waking up after being asleep for a while. Watch this space. Real quality here @ a not so over inflated price.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
I am actually surprised about the quality of teachers -but anyone who knows anything about managing educators will know that profits are about a million miles away from their thinking. Just out of collegers will not hack it.
0 Kudos