Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

I am interested to know

john_1
Super Contributor
What do you guys think is the single biggest risk to stock markets at this point in time. What is the one event that could come from left field and mess everybody arround.
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
Not applicable
Property market and banks
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
no thats already been dicounted in my ho.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
collapse of a large US bank.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
What Simon says. And the massive correction in commodities some have been predicting for the last 5 years.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
here is my thought, The chinese unpeg their currency, this would make the currency and commodity markets go nuts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
to our stock markets or world markets...
0 Kudos
Hibiscus
Regular Contributor
Stupid question! The answer must be linked to a probability of the event to take place.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Unchecked inflation and faltering Chinese/Indian econ growth
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
why has that got anything to do with it. there is a 100% certain that some unforseen event will upset the apple cart at some time in the future. we are speculating on what might tip the cart.
0 Kudos
Hibiscus
Regular Contributor
World war 3 may be such an event - Why; One can argue all the economical variables - but - the probability of such an event is ... say 5%. If - Chinese economy is at this stage 'driving' world economy; any negative disturbance there may cuase the cart into a slope towards being turned over - (or more on track!) What will that be and what is the likelihood of it to happen? Like you said the currency?
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
Osama Bin laden et al - another terrorist attack/World War III
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hibiscus have you read the book "the balck swan" if not, I highly recomend it.
0 Kudos
Guardian
Contributor
I think a crash in Technology would really upset the cart. India being one of the leading imurging markets has good IT skills,however, the Indians are dispursed all over the world incl South Africa. If they decided to remain in their country it could have an effect on the rest of the world...OMO.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Fifa moving the world cup...
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Discovery of cheap (=$10/bbl) substitute for oil....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
we have it...tequila baby
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
John, Im almost finished Black Swan. Have you read his previous work Fooled by Randomness. Personally I prefered the first book (perhaps because the concepts were more novel to me then) but I highly reccomend both books to anyone who thinks they trade with any level of skill. - P
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hitlers definately coming back. That red wine saved him
0 Kudos