Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

I am new to investing

Q2W
Super Contributor
Like Chartist say with options, like warrants the spread is a problem. You need to decide for yourself, are you looking for a return of 10% next year this time, or do you want to double your money before New Years? The higher return you want, the higher the risk, so be aware of that. I started 9 years ago with R1000, after 2 weeks I added another R1000. Waiting for your shares/warrants to turn green is immpossible becaues of the spread and brokage cost. I saved enough money and came back and started making money. If you are willing to lose that money, maybe try warrants. But please know all the ins and outs of them. They are risky investments.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So Numweling just to get this straight...are you in all seriousness suggesting that someone with R 2000 buys a share worth 1 or 2 cents? Come on man grow up we are not children here....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am not suggesting buying 1 and 2c shares, actually I am suggesting buying 5c shares. I bought Awethu in April @ 5c a share and sold less than a month later @ 50c a share.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
then how with R 2000 do you get a R 1000 change per 1c....amazing how bad the maths of these penny traders usually is...thats by a factor of 5 so if we extrapolate that to your percantage growth we can see where the problem is ...you do the math...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The R1000 change per 1c was not based on a R2000 investment. It was a general remark. As a matter of fact I am an accountant and a formula queen. If you need help with your maths give me a call.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so are you a queen...?
0 Kudos
Q2W
Super Contributor
Common guys, aren't we here to help out the new guy!?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist-are you suggesting that I am a drag queen?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
no just a queen like me....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
O.K Carlos - subscribe to Red Hot Penny Shares and you can decide for yourself which of the two queens'(by the way I am a girl and married to a boy and have two little girls)advice to follow. Penny shares or not.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
oh dear...an accountant about to start out in their trading career and they are buying advice from a crook....dont ask me ...just google pump and dump and you will see the inditements...really for an accountant I expected a greater intellect ....
0 Kudos
org
Super Contributor
We all know these penny stocks are cr"p without solid fundamentals which do only well in a bull market like we had now for 4 years, when the bear strike they colllapse.They are debt-laden.Even a dirty old retilian like me knows better than this...
0 Kudos
Chem_I
Contributor
No definitly I only play warrents, Just implying that if I buy R2000 worth of warrents I need a 2% Topi increase before I make about R100 or something. Yoy can make money but its will take alot of time if you start of r2000.
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Hi Carlos, welcome and a lot of the advice from the other forumites is good, however I will give you 5 of my picks, which I see as having some upside in the near future. I would say in my opinion that you investigate a number of shares and then buy into 1 only, as the broker fees will kill you otherwise. Here are my 5: BEG - buy at 23cents (should move to 26-27 cents over next month or 2), VMK - buy in the mid 90's (will move back over R 1,00 and at worst, pays a nice dividend, normally), CEL - buy at 69-70cents (currently undervalued in my opinion, see it going to about 80cents short term), SAL - buy in mid 60's (more volatile, but unless the whole market has a big drop, should climb from here), SIM - buy at 4,50 - also volatile but on its way up again. NB!!! Also, make sure you have a clear strategy when you buy as to when you are going to sell. Greed is probably the biggest downfall of traders. Make a decision, eg buy at 20c, allow 20% growth i.e. 24c, then either sell or put a stop loss on at 23, but know your plan from the outset and stick to it. This is all only my opinion, so good luck and let us know how it goes.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Hi, friend - you picked up some nasties, hey? My 1c worth: if you do absolutely nothing and just watch to pick up on your view of the market, you'l be losing at a rate of R54 p m being standard fees on your 'dormant' account. Rather enroll to the Sanlam/summit competion - this provides excellent free play and if you go serious you may even win. Only problem there is: you're not allowed to select shares out of a predetermined list.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
So - Carlos - What you gonna do?
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
typo (sorry) You're only allowed to trade shares from a predetermined list. However: you may buy any but only sell according to the predetermined list.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Carlos 4/5 of ABuzz's share selection are part of Frank Black's portfolio. Thinking of subscribing to Red Hot Penny Shares yet?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well now he no longer needs to....if anyone wants this info they can get it for free....I leave the rest to you to figure out...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Did I say how long ago these were added?
0 Kudos