Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

I know that this share has seen 120c , but I

Trying
Contributor
am thinking of getting in at current levels with a 3 to 6 month view - Any comments ?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
platsak
Super Contributor
I got a few at 121 and at current levels. Useally runs before reporting time WHICH IS EARLY NEXT YEAR. Share can be very volatile. Decreased demand for their product at the moment. There should be opportunities to enter later on as well.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
u r the first MRF junkie to talk any sense! ...Click on chart,usually takes some time to come in,then on MA,look at the bollinger band as well and at last the OBV is sensibly declining. ..As another forumite pointed out when the ROC crosses the mid line then its a buy again,i would nibble before when its pointing up....Yes u r right on the demand for their products falling away and at the moment it has established a new 52 week low!....i am also keen to buy again and will let u know when i enter.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
P.S.I hope u are not offended,i did not mean it as a derogatry remark,just i'm so irritated by the the general fixation with MRF by a large crowd of punters,sometimes to the exclusion of some real bargains that are overlooked.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
real bargains like which shares barry. Am interested in your views...
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
If u go to www//psg.co.za u will find if u scroll down at the bottom a box on the right hand side with a number of shares every day,click on technicals and will see that tell wether they are in a bull or bear phase ,nice easy understandable graphs by WEN....If u subscribe to their free weekly news letter u will see they reveiw all the SENS updates and suggest either BUY,HOLD,BUY LATER,AVIOD ETC.i cannot just pick a share now ,but i always find shares by looking at shares coning up to their interims or finals.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Barry you often talk about buying shares just before their interims/finals. Could you explain your strategy/theory? Thanx
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Lousig, First i choose shares that have good records,i.e. those that have done it before.I don't like speaking of "cyclical" shares ,but rather of "seasonal" shares,that bring in the loot year after year....the great advantage of buying in the that period is that the shares then usually reflect the value in the company at the time of buying and will rise in capital value till the dividends are payed.....For an example lets say last year three months before the dividend the share was standing at R100 at buying.This year the share is standing at R50 at buying.By selling ex-div i am not exposed to the truama of the downside of the share and yet it was possible to make a rough 20% capital gain each time ,plus the dividends of course.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I only choose two or three at a time ,oh there are plenty more out there,but i research a share thoroughly by reading its details on Company Profile and if it has its own website i go there as well...I always check the balance sheet and also see what debt its carrying and how they intend paying it off.(i really hate reading this online report and prefer the yearly report sent to me) something i now find harder to obtain.Suppose i must change with the times.)I prefer cash flush companies in sectors that are showing promise at the time of purchase....i find the tipsters BUY,HOLD,SELL signals completely usless and dont even bother to consult their veiws....Cash flow is important and i find i have an 80% success rate.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Thirdly i buy in at the lows over a couple of months and do not let anything sway me from my set course ,once i've decided....As the moment i hold SBK installments on MPC showing a 28% capital gain and PPC showing a 16% loss,which does not bother me at alla s there is likely to be a good dividend ,plus more growth in the run-up to the LDT and allows me to buy more at this stage.Cheers.P.S. roughly i usually buy three months prior the LDT date.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
small cap resources train smash?....probably will be last to recover! ...OMHO
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Spot on Barry. They will be the last to recover as investors race to buy into the old blue chip favourites, then the second line value shares and lastly penny shares. Look at what happened to spectacular winners eight years ago - Dimension data traded at almost R80 a share, and now at R6-R7. Previous winners NEVER are the winners when the market recovers. Pennies are the last to run, and the last to recover. The same will go for MRF. People shouldn't cuff themselves to dead dogs. Wait for the first sign of a recovery and rush into blue chips - RCH, SBK, BVT, MTN, SOL, NPN, SHP, SHF. You have to love the opportunity lurking.
0 Kudos
Mr_Bean
Frequent Contributor
What effect do you think the margin adjustments are going to have tomorrow. Merafe SSF goes from R90 to R45 I think, does this mean we get cash back, or do they add more contracts? A reduction in cost will surely make the share even more heavily traded and volatile at a time when it just aint good. Any comments??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
TheoPrinsloo
Contributor
MRF SSF are R75 currently - are they going to lower this price?
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Thanx Barry. I hold both PPC and MPC in my long term portfolio. I'm adding to my PPC position while there is blood in the streets. Do you expect them to announce an increase in dividends next month?
0 Kudos