Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

I smell a rat.......

kwagga
Super Contributor
Bad economic data coming through, terrible IMF report on the state of the world economy, no consolidation after the previous bottom and markets keep running higher - not an ideal situation.
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so how do you short a rat ??
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The U.S. markets are puffing up like a blowfish, waved on by the most crooked of them all using once-off events as if they're proof of their invulnerability. We're all following them up. What could possibly go wrong, you ask? Me, sold shorts & back in money markets from yesterday. Fricken interest rate, and then the government wants to tax you on top of that.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
A bear rat trap?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what you are smelling is burning money...yours...we have a classice W bottom on the SA futures and need to take out the mid point highs before we can call this a bull. We have a huge reverse head and shoulders pending. that would see us get to a 50% retrace from our markets highs. We have copper breaking its down trend last night. And of course we have the rand showing remarkable strength. Trade the facts.That said we are up against the down trend on both the DOW and the FTSE so that makes todays price action serriously important as a weekly close above these trends will be seen as very significant.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
carving knife, I've heard
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
There's that view, and there's this view: "One thing is for certain: the longer the divergence between real volume trading/liquidity and absolute market changes persists, the more memorable the ensuing market liquidity event will be. At the end of the day, despite the pronouncements by the administration and more and more sell-side analysts that the market is merely chasing the rebound in fundamentals in what has all of a sudden become a V-shaped recovery, the "rally" could simply be explained by technical factor driven capital-liquidity aberrations, which will continue at most for mere weeks if not days." http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/04/incredibly-shrinking-market-liquidity.html
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, only "One thing is for certain" .. the price .. anything else is a bias ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Exactly..I don't givea rats a$$ if the market is moving up or down..as long as its moving!!
0 Kudos
gamma_spike
Frequent Contributor
head and shoulders on the TOP is now a DELUXXX triple header... and the volume... now what is that doing? Yes it is hard to short a market so buy side biased... the question is how much more biased can it get? Anyway who wants to sell into a weak market....
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The price was the truth around 2007 as well. Sooner or later it catches on, despite having a lot of wiggle-room in between. John - not sure what your window is - IIRC intraday. I can't hope to think of what it'll do in the super-short term - that's like predicting where the next breeze will come from. But I'm sure (or biased) that it'll get colder as we heading into Winter.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no, the price is only ever the truth that exists in the market .. do price and fundamentals converge, well maybe - but then again everybody has a different fundamental view .. hence the truth can only be price as everything else is view 9bias0 .. relating it to weather indicates the problem .. you think about the market the same way you think about life .. an they are way way different in more ways then most people think ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
if fundamentals are always right ZARP would be a billionaire...but he is not why...because he did not trade the price.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Agreed - the complexity makes the market. Anyway, I'm a dullard for believing I know where it might go ;) I actually have few of my own thoughts, just trying to read those who hopefully see through the noise, trying to balance listening to my bias and informing it from (hopefully) better informed opinions. What I think is interesting (and mentioned in that article) is that quant hedge funds have largely lost money in this rally. Out of 80 that were canvassed, 1 is up. For every possible position, there are exceptionally smart people who subscribe to it.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no dude, nobody can see through the noise ..
0 Kudos
gamma_spike
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Uh-huh, uh huh, (me nodding me kop in agreement like it was Ramones on me ipod)
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
Reminds me of the time a caught a rat in a trap by the tail and wondered how to kill it so I stuck it in a bucket of water with the trap hanging on to its tail thats How you short the rat
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
all I know is this hasto be the tightest squeeze I ever seen! Whatever happens, its going to be big.
0 Kudos