Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

IG Markets

th-mb
Occasional Contributor
Is there anyone who has looked at IG markets or is even trading with it. I noticed that they offer the alsi index future for a fraction of what std bank OST is offering and I'm thinking of joining them but im weary of the weird leverage. any thoughts?
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
Not applicable
Slightly inappropriate to raise that on Standard banks platform
0 Kudos
th-mb
Occasional Contributor
point taken. thanks
0 Kudos
th-mb
Occasional Contributor
point taken. thanks
0 Kudos
th-mb
Occasional Contributor
point taken. thanks
0 Kudos
th-mb
Occasional Contributor
point taken. thanks
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
ALSI bid and offer very wide at times
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
I don't think it inappropriate to raise on STD Bank Platform?...Are we not allowed to comment/compare on the holy grail of trading platforms. Sent them a mail weeks ago on problem with displaying charts. Haven't had the common decency of a simple reply telling me to go to hell. We pay for this service and if it fails us why shouldn't they take note.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Agreed. I gave up sending emails to OST as I never had a response. A measure of arrogance pervades the whole organisation. I thought things might improve when Premier Maree retired but they haven't.
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
I have also requested a few times when their system goes down to notify us by e mail or sms, and when it comes back up again. This would go a long way to help us saving time wasted by continually having to look and c when they are online again. But then other queries I have had have been attended too.
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Unfortunately this is a tragic tale of most South African companies when it comes to customer service. Management just do not give a damm. ***** en betaal boet!
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Hahaha, this is sooo funny! All my queries were answered and/or replied to on in a timely manner. On the appropriateness of a qeury - why not let the ban-hammer decide, it got me once or twice. Why, that is what this forum is for - exchange of info - or is it to talk your book and misdirect and obfusticate? Your appropriateness comment actually sucks , bigtime , and not in a good way.
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Koos are we allowed the occasional friday joke or wouldn't that meet with your approval either?...just checking!
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Koos is probably OLST management under cover
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Oh, ok, I see. It was bait. Well done.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
If we appoint you Moderator, will you draw up a set of rules so we know how to behave?
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Quite frankly I only use bait for fishing. That's why I invest, to provide me with the means for fishing. It's about the fishing not the investing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
as far as trading shares you are much better off trading through IG I believe (experience from the guys @ traderscorner, its all Garth M uses as well)

As far as trading ALSI goes its better to go with other firms like DWT, Nedbank or SA stockbrokers through Swordfish.
IG gives you an ALSI forward (not a future), you are not trading the market you trading against IG.
You also have to pay 30 points to cross the spread (even though there arent costs).
So if you are an intraday trader you are looking at making 100 points a day you give 60 back before you even start (by crossing the spread twice).
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
My understanding (i stand corrected) is that IG Market do not hedge on behalf of their clients. So client bears 100% of the market movement.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
My Son-in-law uses IG in the UK, mostly he does spread betting. I was with him one morning last August when IG had a offline problem. Tom received continuous text messages and emails giving phone numbers and names and email tags if he needed to trade etc. It lasted less than an hour. Later that day he received via email and skype an apology from a Director with his personal contact number if he had any issues or had been caused any problems during the outage. Such service here would be jaw-dropping.
0 Kudos