Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

INP chart looks so depressing.

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
needs to keep in mind some of the very basic technical priciples. I may well agree with that to a degree, but you will agree that the vast majority of investors would not. Further in my long term buy and hold portfolio (and I run 3 portfolios) I completely ignore technicals. The issues here are many, most important is the lesson from the Livermore book. Losing your position.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
two issues are being confused here....the recommendation to buy INL and the SFM investment portfolio....I never suggested INL be booted out...I was merely questioning the kind of mentality which I have seen around INL lately....and I saw some of that come through in the discussion ....its not only whats said ....its the way that its said...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja I know what you are trying to say....with respect to SFM and the SFM audience (I include myself in that group).....you were not speaking to the great investors of the world....you are speaking to people who are hungry for information....who seek clues on when to buy and when to sell in any place they can....you are speaking to people who are not going to buy and hold....you are speaking to people who are going to buy and sell at exactly the wrong time....you are speaking to people who in most cases cannot afford to take the loss....you are speaking to people who will buy INL....see it decline further ...endure pain and then when the pain is too much....they k@k in their broeks and bail....
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
INL, INP remains a long term buy in my books and nothing anyone says will change that. The financial results will do the talking in this case. Either it's good and I buy more, or it's bad and I reposition myself. It's quite simple actually. If you walk into a reputable jewelry store and they sell Rolex for 40% less than usual, no one have to tell you it's cheap, unless you don't follow the price of Rolex and are totally clueless. A normal 10% stop loss is a dead loss in my books, because the circumstance around this share is peculiar. A 5% buffer due to volatility would push my stop loss closer to 15%. omo
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
on this we agree completely. We have lots of smart investors, but we also have a lot of less smart trying to get rich in a hurry and grabbing at anythign that may be their path to instant and fab wealth.
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
Chartist, you are dead wrong. A true value investor doesn't take technical indicators into consideration at all. The value investor's decision on whether to buy or sell a stock is based on business principles of whether the company has a competitive advantage, whether management is doing a good job, whether they are getting value for money and whether they will be able to sell the stock in the long term for a profit. They use financial statements to confirm the company's financial position and previous financial track record. A true value investor couldn't care less about technical analysis.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes...and we have (you have/SFM have) done all these things? Arrogance and assumptions are what the market loves best....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
one word....diddata....do yourself a favour...go and read the so called fundamental expert's analysis of that time.....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, we've just been chattign about ddt at R60 after the move to R70 and what everybody was saying = buy.
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
If you think that Didata is a value investment, then you don't know a thing about true value investing. No value investor will even consider the IT sevices industry because of the structure of the industry and the lack of competitive advantage. Go read up on value investing before you come and throw DD into the ring as a value play. And if you really follow what the so-called fundamental analysts that are employed by brokerages say, then you're a bigger idiot than I thought.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Out of interest - When is the market right? Not the commentators but the overall actions of every single person encapsulated in the current price? Answer - ALWAYS
The reason for the weakness in the price will be revealed soon as the reason normally follows the price action!
My simple suggestion - Change the mentality of if its 40% cheaper today compared to yesterday and that MUST be a bargain to one where you buy when its is 15% or even more expensive (Just think about such logic for a mo).
The problem comes in with your example showing how people look at shares! Shares are not products, pricing and value works the opposite way! It is people's fear or greed that they will not be able to pick up the first 10% or 15% rise in Investec that is the problem!!
If it is such great value and you believe for sure it is going to give you 100%+, in future, why not give away the 1st 15% and make the 85% with certainty?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
JDG is a more recent example. Every Tom, ***** and Harry on a radio and TV show punted this share after its huge drop in June. Well, where are we now? Just shows, if you're prone to follow other people's advice then you shouldn't point fingers afterwards.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Jeez D, it takes one to know one Id say! First, if you just read the comments you would see that the opposite is in fact suggested. Second, the discussion is not around value investing!. Third, there's no way that you can suggest the majority of the public investing in shares and investing in INP now are value investors!! The majority of retail investors research extends to hearing a supposed expert saying buy INP, in fact if the research is really deep they may act only on hearing a colleague saying they heard so and so suggest INP.
Then if the above description is not accurate regarding you personally then why get your panties in a bunch over it????
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
And the market never overreacts, right, but the market always remains right, right. I don't try and call bottoms and tops on share prices. I think I'm long enough in the market to know when I see something interesting, and INL and INP looks interesting. This my opinion, and my opinion only, not the market opinion, so if you prefer to follow the market because it's always right, good luck in your ventures.
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
Johnny, I never said, and I was never suggesting, that the majority of the investing public investing in INP are value investors. I'm just pointing out that Chartist doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to value investing. Chartist tends to see himself as the be all and end all of trading and investing on this forum. If you're going to open youreslf up like that, then at least make sure you're credible. He talks ***** to anyone who has an opinion that differs from his when it comes to trading and investing. He should then be able to take a bit of bruising when he makes stupid comments like he did about value investing and ddt.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
aai ja jaai....I dont know or claim to know anything about value investing other than knowing that value investors are very seldom true value invetsors....they are mostly speculators who think they are value investors...I don't have the time or inclination for value investing...
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
. . . apart from training the pool boy. . . .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dimitrus I would just add...if one, as you suggest, "open yourself up like that".....one should have a rather large buttplug at hand....
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
So I presume you have a buttplug then.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you obviously missed the video....
0 Kudos