Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Ideas for US and UK central bankers to make money

Not applicable
1) Go long. Then ban short-selling. After the rally as all shorts exit, sell your long position. Legalise shorting. After the fall, go long. Ban shorting again... 2) Go long. Then legislate a minimum price above which certain shares may trade (above the price that you paid). 3) Borrow money from tax-payers. Then nationalise your mortgage companies and lend the tax-payers' money back to them at inflated rates.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Vano
Regular Contributor
Timato, you are joking, of course, but have a look at this site: http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/willie091808.html An extract taken from the article: "RAIDS OF INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNTS This is so important a topic, that it deserves top billing!!! Hidden inside the AIG bailout funding package, surely hastily cobbled together, but carefully enough to include a totally corrupt clause, was a handy dandy clause that permits raids. The conglomerate financial firms are permitted at this point to use private individual brokerage account funds to relieve their own liquidity pressures." If this is true, we are in for a very rough ride!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
The barometer of rubbish is GOLD. The more of it the higher it goes. So far I don't see it going to the 740 low in a hurry.To add to your suggestions: The Fed must start buying OIL to save the automotive and airline industries, which I last checked were not doing very well!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I've never really believed in such articles before - I thought the authors were just conspiracy theorists - but after this mornings action the article certainly seems to ring true.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I was long gold via DRD, in addition to shorts of Old Mutual and Investec. Man, am I feeling the pain... I'm persisting with the DRD and the INV (the problems haven't just gone away, just because short-selling was banned in the US and UK). I was forced to sell OML in a hurry to avoid a close-out - with the share 17% up. Gold had better do it's thing. I've got a huge loss to compensate for now.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yup, there it goes. Phew - what a day - bought a lot of experience...
0 Kudos