Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

If you think the stock market is good you should see the art market

john_1
Super Contributor
I went to the S. weltz auction last night. Wow! I watched the value of my art collection more than tripple based on the auction prices. Record after record fell with ave prices per painting in the 300000 range for the SA masters. Van Esch going for 380 000, top price paid was 1.8million for a small sub standard Erma Stern. If you have any doubt about there being a bit of money about the place. dont!
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Brazen
Super Contributor
Good to know that there's a lot of money washing around. Makes me happy. And glad your art collection is doing well!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Maybe we must send a body painting by Gravy to the next Welz shindig. Any volunteers?
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Hey john - I think we all start out small investing, be it in art, shares, property or whatever. The important thing is to invest as early as possible. 3 paintings is still 3 more than I have - all of mine are just decorative, rather than investments, but who knows maybe in time the artists will "be discovered" and they may become investment pieces.
0 Kudos
TJH
Frequent Contributor
You know things are overheated when the Americans pay $250 million for David Beckham to come over and play soccer in a non-soccer country. John, you should have sold your paintings and put a buy order in for GFI at R103. There is a greater chance of GFI going to R400 than your paintings rising 4-fold.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Tjh.. That is true but I posted this for 2 reasons 1: It really highlights the value of buying the very best quality of any kind of investment ie BLUE CHIPS and 2: it is a great place to put cash that enriches your life as it does keep pace with the stockmarket over time.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
oops, TJH, now you've done it... CE is gonna have to come out and respond to that! ;)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dude, SA art is becoming very collectable very quickly. And apparently Russian collectors are driving the art boom... Dont know if you saw the latest SA art auction in UK? some of the paintings fetched well over R1m http://www.ukauction.info/2007/05/25/bonhams-south-african-art-sale-in-london-smashes-three-auction-... ... I bought 2 paintings at an auction this year (my 1st 2) just waiting for the bloke to die now:)
0 Kudos
TJH
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Who did you buy, and If you are right about the Russians you wont have to wait long.
0 Kudos
TJH
Frequent Contributor
Tribalzone: I've got three Anderson paintings (similar to JDH) from the 1930. He's dead and they still worth nothing. LOL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im a small fry so I bought small fry art... Marius Rossouw... hope he's not a member of the forum;)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I dont have my Catalouge , but I think a Gerard Sekoto sold for over half a mijillion last night.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In London a Sekoto went for R1.17m and two works by Stern went for R2.8m & R2m ... Eish!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Found a gallery with some of Marius Rossouw work look interesting.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The Record for a Stern is over 6 mil
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I bought 2 painting 5 years ago. The guy I bought it from said that the one artist is ageing and painting less and less and this works increase annually with 30%. Well today that same painting is worth almost 300% more, and no it's not a Claerhout. My wife on the other hand decided to go for the pretty picture and today you can buy the same painting for surprise, surprise the same price. If you looking to invest in good artists at reasonably fair prices today try Errol Boyley, Adriaan Bosshoff to name but a few. Unfortunately not everyone is destined to own a Sekoto, Stern, Preller etc.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
I own a couple of paintings done by stuart Titcomb (I think thats the spelling) Have you heard of him and if so do you think they would be worth a few Bob??
0 Kudos