Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Im getting sick of losing my money

Not applicable
Guys help me please what im i doing wrong.What are you looking at to get a good feel for the market. I just seem to be losing slowly. all my calls and pust seem to go in at the wrong time. What is a good tactic to use,If thats even what you call it.All advise would be appreciated especially simon.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Russ
Super Contributor
Ilost a small fortune in warrants last year. My advice: unless you really know what you are doing STAY AWAY FROM WARRANTS!Rather invest in shares and watch your portfolio grow slowly.GREED KILLS!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i'm assuming your trading & not investing. if so have you read any TA books?? or taken any courses. you should do that. Its really simpler than high school maths. you just need confidence. buy low, sell high isnt as easy as it sounds...ive worked out a good system for timing entry points & im still struggling with knowing when to sell.
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Find a system. The system MUST give you an entry and an exit (or target). MUST. Paper trade that system till you get the feel for it and then try small positions. Paper trading is fine but nothing teaches like having money on the line...
it goes without saying that to find a system you have to attend courses and read books etc etc...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I love trading warrants so i wont give up until im succesful at it. Stocks just take so long i wanna shoot my self. So Chris what timing methods are you using get in touch with me on [email protected] let me know thanks your advise is very appreciated. Anything else you can tell me Like the names of those books.
0 Kudos
Eppies
Frequent Contributor
Sorry pal and welcome to the club. I started in 1998 and still learning. Lesson no 1 do not trade4 SSF, warrants and CFD's if you are not 100% preparred. Secondly study the unit trusts funds that average a constant 50% gain for the lat 5 years. Invest in the holdings co's of those to performers. The worst thing that you can do is to give up trading.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
develope a system and then stick to exit. Most important part is money management and this is largely trade size but way more important is stop loss. If you ignore your stops you will go broke. Keep it simple and don't chase gearing. Leave warrants below 20c (even better below 30c). Watch out for time decay and short dated warrants.

Lastly, read (and reread)
Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas
REMINISCENCES OF A STOCK OPERATOR by Edwin Lefevre
An then remember it takes time to become successful, took me about 2/3 years and 2.5 destroyed portfolios.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
how do you find out what the big investment companies are buying
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks Simon i'll get those books this week
0 Kudos
dreamer
Contributor
Losing money goes with starting out. My advice, get a couple of shares and play for a while. Take money that you can lose and just play, read, look at graphs, listen to the radio etc. There is a book that I bought at a second hand bookstore, Everybody's guide to the stockmarket by joffe (forget the first name). Brilliant for explaining graphs and charts. I do not trade warrants at all, because I like the idea of contributing to compnaies growing, and contributing to the economy etc etc. And get the ratios, you want to use and develop an excel spreadsheet. Also, mix it a little. Some unit trusts, an investment account, cash on hand, and shares. All part of building welath. Well we can hope!!! Good luck!!
0 Kudos
Champ_golfer
Frequent Contributor
Yes Simon trade size for SSF's is very important and also to break your portfolio into different futures to subsidize each other. Day trading in some futures is possible for say R15 outlay and earning R6+ pm sundry Income easy. Dont turn the Stop loss tooo tight as SSF's can go nasty down and then recover quick, also if it triggers and there are no volume it bids for the nearest volume bid avail so if you are big , Stopp loss might hurt alot and quickly erase your wealth. DRD,SIM,NTC,MTX,FSR,ASA are good trades as they always have good spreads, but not for more than R100k initial margin unless you have real big ballas\!! CAE and CLH are good beginners for potential large gains/SSF starters
0 Kudos
Champ_golfer
Frequent Contributor
Yes Simon trade size for SSF's is very important and also to break your portfolio into different futures to subsidize each other. Day trading in some futures is possible for say R15 outlay and earning R6+ pm sundry Income easy. Dont turn the Stop loss tooo tight as SSF's can go nasty down and then recover quick, also if it triggers and there are no volume it bids for the nearest volume bid avail so if you are big , Stopp loss might hurt alot and quickly erase your wealth. DRD,SIM,NTC,MTX,FSR,ASA are good trades as they always have good spreads, but not for more than R100k initial margin unless you have real big ballas\!! CAE and CLH are good beginners for potential large gains/SSF starters with small outlay
0 Kudos
Beep_Beep
Super Contributor
Check out www.equinox.co.za for all holdings of unit trusts
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chaps just one simple lesson(SSFs) - if a share is down and there is no fundemental reason y then u know it must be profit-taking go and buy Ive made 60% this year on that buying principle alone
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
kaching, sure but remembering that we're in a strong bull market at the moment.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
True but remember Simon that sentiment is the big driver and unless we get rid of the people (Greenspan&Co)that plays the market on the downside sentiment will allways rule the market above tecnical predictions -- so guys please put some feel good drugs in the water of the Media.
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
Well, for me to make money, somebody got to loose, not so?
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
CE si correct. Pure futures is zero sum as is pure options. But what we're trading this is nto a zero sum game.
0 Kudos
Q2W
Super Contributor
New Kid I dropped you an e-mail
0 Kudos