Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Importing from the USA

Herms
Contributor
Hi there. Can anybody please give me some advice as to how to go about importing something that I bought from the USA. The courier service and everything is taken care of but I have to take care of customs and tax implications myself. How do I determine what the costs will be and who should I contact regarding this transaction if anybody? Please any advice will be appreciated. Also if there is a website or something that I will be able to make use of for some more clarity could you please post it here. Thank you so much!
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Herms
Contributor
By the way the item I want to import is a men's watch.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
SARS website on importing. else google the "importing from the US", lots of info
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Surely a good courier (DHL etc etc) should include the taxes and import duties in the fees. I know when I shipped various stuff from US they asked me to either pay upfront (at that time USD was allot higher) or COD when they delivered???

But yeah call SARS import department you will also need the source code booklet 2010/2011 http://sars.gov.za/Tools/Documents/DocumentDownload.asp?FileID=59579 but you could call the excise duty department (012) 422 4000 and chat to them. Although for a single watch it should not be a problem as above courier should sort it out.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
From my experience the courier will take care of customs and duties etc and send you a bill, once you settle the amount they deliver your goods.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
option one would be if the shipment was termed DDP (duty, delivered, paid) in that case you pay nothing and just wait for delivery. the courier company will otherwise approach you for customs clearance. you would then have the option of doing the clearance yourself or even to have the courier release the documents to a clearing agent, usually against payment of a "release fee", and of course, their shipping charges if the consignment was not already prepaid. using the courier is the easiest option, but ask them to give you their fees/quote. obviously you should also get the info iro what duties if any are applicable, and of course you have to pay VAT (not on what you paid, but on the ATV + 10%, which is in basic terms the cost of the item inflated by 10%, but the formula is a little complex if duties are involved and forwarding charges in the US blah blah) hope this helps
0 Kudos
Skyhawk
Contributor
It all depends on the cost and if you bringing in a product which is a sample or present then duty does not apply. You will also have to submit your confirmation to your bank for payment which you will get from however does your freight. And ja don't use DHL,UTI, etc. They are expensive. Try Mentor Freight in JHB.
0 Kudos
Jacques_1
Frequent Contributor
What if something is sent via South Africas Post office and not via a courier, do they call you aswell?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the post office will charge you when you collect ..
0 Kudos