Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Index futures

Ninja
Super Contributor
Guys, if you looking to trade these products I have found the alsi to be very volatile. DJI or FTSE.....much higher volumes, lower volatility, easier to trade. Only my opinion.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
I have found that surfing the 30minchart Channel-extremes works better.And yeah...a lot of Dudes get stopped out.Me.I hold my position.Sometimes see swings of 300 points.So what.It's the ALSI,one of the wildest.No Brokeback Cowboys allowed here.###My TOPI P&F chart now targets a Long at ALSI 28250.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And I know, there will be Howls at this...but an old Pro trader taught me.NEVER post your Stops.The Banker-Dealers(Da Boyzz) see where everybody is and...Run The Stops.On the ALSI, it's like Candy from a Baby.Every Day.###Thus, I just watch my position-sizing.That's the key.I Stop myself out.(if necessary.).Swing-trading it.Lowers the Risk-profile.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if your broker is running your stops .. you need to get a real broker ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Back to volatility...For intraday trading, the higher the volatility the better. Thats why the stops get hit...big profits , small loss. No stop loss ; big profit,even bigger loss. You can stop your self out but try doing that on ALSI futures with 5 contracts - your trading will come to a sudden stop....
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Agreed Rams, although I personally prefer a steady movement on the index with few(not none)extremes and a close stop. I scalp the Dow trading $50 per point with a 10 point target. I bank half profit at 10 points and move stop to BE. I then manage rest of position as a trend trade and have had a couple of trades go on to deliver a 100 points.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Yes, I find the volatility on the American open annoying and if the ALSI trades like the DOW or SP500, then why not just trade the DOW or SP500..
0 Kudos