Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Index futures

mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Is holding overnight a good idea? Do "seasoned" traders ever do this? How often do I stand to get wiped out? Has this happened to any of you guys holding positions overnight?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Rams
Super Contributor
I never have, never will.....I trade the ALSI futures daily, always close out position end of day.....there was talk of reducing the margin for intraday....will be a good idea and possibly will get more traders trading ALSI,,,,,,if you were short overnight, well, your stop would not have been much help......
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I hold over night all the time, some of my lazy ALSI trades run for months on end ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its all a question of risk vs reward. If you are geared to make profit on 200pts, then holding overnight is suicide. If you are geared, like Simon, to make profit on a 2000pt move, then your system most definitely requires you to hold overnight. Some people use futures to hedge their portfolio - they will also hold for several weeks even.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I also tweak risk per trade to manage stop slippage .. in other words rather than risk 2% per trade i risk 1% per trade and sometimes get hit harder as stop slips ..
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
If you held overnight - last night - like I did, ouch!!!! The system wouldn't allow me to trade around 5ish last night so I couldn't exit my short position.
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
If you held overnight - last night - like I did, ouch!!!! The system wouldn't allow me to trade around 5ish last night so I couldn't exit my short position.
0 Kudos