Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Indicators

Not applicable
I am an intra day trader trading CFD's. I use MacD, EMA and price channels in my decision making when placing a trade. I have tested many time frames but consistantly miss trends in either direction. Could someone assist me with the best or more accurate time frame for the above please or should I use different indicators. Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable
well, to start with, you can't intra-day trade with CFD's. completely the wrong instrument
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And don't use both EMA and MACD.....and what price Channels are you using....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I trade CFD's on a weekly basis. The time scale currently is 22 days and 10 on occasion. So does MacD fall away completely? What must I use in it's place? Appologies if my termanology does not make sence, I'm trying to figure it out myself.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
choose either MACD or EMA since MA in MACD is Moving Average...
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I also have a cfd portfolio. Whatever indicators and time-frame you are trying to use, do a back-test on what you determine to be buy-signals and sell-signals, for at least the past year or longer. Moving averages are lagging indicators, so they will not likely give you a signal at the point of a trend reversal, but will rather show you that a new trend may have developed, an existing trend is in tact, or that a trend might be comming to an end. For weekly trading, you might like to try the stockastic indicator.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
My indicator is very simple. If my mother-in-law looks like a monster-in-law, then i go short. If she look like Kim Basinger, then my minds is playing trick on me and i do not trade for that day.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
rubbish. MACD is a measure of convergence or divergence of two moving averages. It is not a moving average itself. It can't even be plotted on the same axis. MA and MACD are two completely different things.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Ja, and try explaining that to Bev....it's like saying Napoleons white horse is not black....when was the last time you traded anything....it's like using Stochastics and RSI to trade...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And MA in MACD is Moving Average!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
@ Preston - wahaaa... maybe your mother-in-law would be a more accurate indicator. I'm still not completely clear as what I should use. Rams has summed it nicely. I guess I will keep on testing until I find indicators that will work for me. Thank you al
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Buy this book, Technical Analysis from A to Z, 2nd Edition Steven Achelis. http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Analysis-2nd-Steven-Achelis/dp/0071363483 It has all the various indicators that one can use. Unfortunately my indicator still need to be "patent".
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
now it gets interesting ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Ja, he getting the couch tonite
0 Kudos