Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Ins and outs...

Not applicable
How do you know how a company is run? How would I, a private investor, find this sort of information? Financials help I'm sure.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
At best - visit the company, interview management and employees; request the customer list, speak to them; request a bank report.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Don't make an appointment, you HAVE to surprise them.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
LOL! Excellent.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Right, last thing on my mind. What information can they keep from a shareholder?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
You ever hear of Enron?
0 Kudos
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
In the financial statements, starting at least 3 years back, you look amongs others for a constant increase in the return on shareholders funds and a constant increase in the operating profit margin. Read what the directors future prospects were, also starting at least 3 years back and compare that to the newer results. If targets were not met or if there is any statement that you do not afree with, then the company is a big no no.
0 Kudos
Brommie
Frequent Contributor
afree = agree
0 Kudos
mightymouse
Contributor
do u really think they going to entertain each and every shareholder that walks in.will all the views each one has here,they wont even be able to start there production or targets for the day.what they going to serve u for lunch at least my visit will be cheap-some cheese on toothpicks.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Brommie = correct
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, Brommie - constructive. I should've been more clear re the question and asked what information companies are entitled to keep from shareholders. That's all I needed to know.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
companies can't keep info from share holders (albeit they can say that they are in negiotations - without giving details. Further during the closed periods they will reveal less).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I see. Thanks, Simon.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
MM, one doesn't just arrive at teh head office and expect lunch. But the company sec is there to engage share holders with questions etc.
0 Kudos