Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Interest rate decicion-Second opinion

platsak
Super Contributor
Since the first time we voted sentiment seems to have changed. Im changing my vote to 1%.
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
john_1
Super Contributor
The bigger problem now is that banks in the UK can not make a profit with the current interet rates.A further drop tomorrow would be terrible news for the UK banks and since lending in this enviroment is inheritly risky they have no way of charging a risk premium so in effect they are forced to take on risk that they have no way of hedging.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
nope, 50bps. But the new CPI makes a case for 100bps. The reweighting of the food component is just fudging. Most people in this country spend a lot more than 13% of their income on food and Dec food inflation was 17%. And 'owners equivalent rental'???? gimme a break
0 Kudos
Not applicable
my opinion no change, a too quick change good result in deflation - tito opinion 50 bps
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
100 bpts - unusual for Tito but i think with the revised trade data and revised inflation calc and talk of SA version of bailout for motor industry Tito has enough ammo to defend an extraordinary(for him that is) drop
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What time(our time)are Europe, UK announcing rate decissions and what are the opinions on these out their?
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
I'd love a rate increase just to see what happen to the market, but I'm still on 50 Bps down.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
BoE - 2pm, 50 pts down .. ECB 2.45pm, no change ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I predict - the pound will be worth less than the dollar soon.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
hooo boy, this market is running with wild abandon in one direction! Simon? There you have it, still lots of bulls out there. For the TOP40 daily the MOM is up, RSI neutral and fast Stoch just crossed 80, MACD green crossover this morning. This little rally could still go some and then some. Upper Bollie is still a way off at 19960.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
looks like we are pricing 100.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
definitely 100, and if it's not...
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
By the way that the Rand is strengthening today, it looks like the rogue currency traders have got a tip-off that the rates are going to be increased. That information has only just started filtering through to the equity traders.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
huh? Now that would be a calamity of epic proportions
0 Kudos