Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Interest rate hike?

Not applicable
Does anyone know when is the next interest rate hike?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
Wednesday 15hoo 1% that is tomorrow.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
Why does increase in interest rate cause financials to decrease, yes i understand that it causes increase in defaulted loans ect...but surely higher interest bearing in SA attracts foreign investors, more bank charges on larger ammounts moving through bank accounts, banks are earning more interest off existing loans that dont default...or am i not seeing something?
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Agreed, but i think you also have to look at our currency and the risk of it weakening further. The rand is currently one of the worst performing currencies in the world and the risk of further weakening may be too high for foreigners to want to take.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
1. low business confidence, 2. affordability. what does it help the banks when they make an extra 1% on 20% of the population who can afford it as opposed to say 70 or 80% who couldve afforded it when the interest rates were lower (figures are theoretical). anycase they gonna have to write off billions on mortgages that have gone belly up where bonds exceed the true current value of homes. this along with the current oil prices, xenophobic attacks, devaluating homes, etc, causes mass histeria in the market. now it has collapsed the entire bulding industry which has for the last couple of years fed millions of south africans and who knows what it's gonna take to get the wheel turning again. somebody correct me if i've missed the plot.
0 Kudos