Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Interesting play - PAN

kwagga
Super Contributor
I did some research on this share. I was surprised at what I read. All possitive. I couldn't believe we have a penny share in the Gold sector that's doing so well. A few things strike me as very possitive - They make profit, they are unhedged, they have no debt, they have funds to pay for new projects. They bought Phoenix plat from Metorex for a laugh. They claim they will have output from this platinum venture by mid 2011. Cyril Rhamaphosa is their chairman and his company bought the PAN shareholding Metorex sold off to them. I like the looks of this company.They have everything going for them including one of the richest gold ore per ton mined in SA at their Baberton mine. There is really nothing not to like about this penny share. Moved from the Altx to the main board in 2009. I give it thumbs up for 2010.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
saash
Super Contributor
This sounds like a familiar mine - wasn't it part of the Anglo fold, didn't they farm it off as a BEE development investment venture? There was a BEE investment consortium of sorts involved in the capital funding? Have you seen any reports on the quality of the ore that they are pulling out?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nice spot, will look into it. Think this could be a part of longer term holding. no derivatives I can find so trading costs will kill, but at least expiry date is only delisting ;-)
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The best of all is they're sitting on a PE < 7.89, an earnings yield of 13% and a div yield of 4%. With institutional consensus that gold is one of the few things in 2010 that seems to have a possitive outlook not many things can go wrong with this share. It remains a spec buy though. omo
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Only problem is that underground looting and pillaging at its 3 Barberton mines are costing the company in excess of R3m per month. Geologists had initially estimated that the 3 mines had a lifespan of 30 years, but this may have to be revised down to less than 10 years if the theft continues. The Barberton mines are especially vulnerable to illegal mining as the gold-bearing reefs are visible to the naked eye and security costs have rocketed. In Oct'09 alone, security apprehended 588 illegal miners. Casper Strydom, Barberton's GM was recently quoted, "I am positive that in a few months we will get control of our mines back, but at huge cost." The rogue miners are typically armed with AK47s, R5s(!), 9mm pistols, 303s and Makarov rifles according to the town's chief prosecutor. Weekend Argus, Nov. 8, 2009.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yasis...they obviously take thier work quite seriously.
0 Kudos
annie3
Frequent Contributor
i recommended this share ages ago on the forum.
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
Went through their AR and they have made provision for the security issue. I think this is a winner and at these values its a bargain, compare DRD to PAN, where would you put your money? Yet DRD trades much higher and at larger vols. Obviously PAN has not been picked up on. Maybe OST can do a report for us......Hint Hint Simon.
0 Kudos