Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Interesting

Brazen
Super Contributor
'Windfall tax suggested now for all resources'. Lead story in Business Day.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Yip. And I also can't say the idea is ertirely without merit. Non-renewable resources have been stripped from this country by the likes of AGL and what have they really put back? (putting on Karl Marx Rules T-shirt)
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Of course, as a shareholder I'm outraged.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There is precedent: Zambia has just upped sales tax on copper from 0.6 per cent to 3 per cent; the UK also has a windfall tax on Brent, just to mention a few. Others are considering similar schemes or have them in place.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya but the real problem is what happens when/if oil heads to $10 (gold to $76, etc.). Then the gov must reverse the payment and pay these co's for lost income - and that becomes a major mess. Of course SOL is a slightly diffeent beast as it did get gov support for a long time. Further one could claim that the other miners got more subtle support from gov, but heck they still pay lotsa tax. Interestingly wind fall tax on oil companies is no a SA thing. UK and others are looking at or have implimented it.
0 Kudos
bothac_1
Contributor
How do you guys think this proposal will affect the JSE today? Could we see some selling or won't investors be phased by the tax at this stage?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Most analysts had the info last week already - it's in the draft report, so the only peoples' surprised is us prolls.
0 Kudos
RDB
Super Contributor
futures down to 24,075
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Asia and Oz red, so probably us too. I wonder for how long. . .
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
so what is your call for SOL, oil prices higher, tension regarding Iran, Bush treatening with war, rising petrol prices, i think this should be good for SOL, but the shareprice does not agree at the moment, would this change.
0 Kudos
RDB
Super Contributor
took small long position @ 24,049, currently futures 24,045 after we saw 24,110 - keeping close eye as my 30 and 60 charts might still have downside - took long after I sold overnight short @ open
0 Kudos
RDB
Super Contributor
that should be 24,010 and now we are 24,030
0 Kudos
RDB
Super Contributor
pre mature long futures 23,773
0 Kudos
RDB
Super Contributor
previous entry should be 23,973 currently 23,987
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Why would they will have to reimburse these companies - when my income goes down I don't get reimbursed I just don't get taxed! These companies are sitting at record profits but the countries they plunder have no share in that...
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
If you were a foreign investor, where would you put your money, into Sasol with the windfall taxes or Exxon Mobil?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
wizard, depends what you want. SOL is not a traditional oil company and in decades to come I think it'll get most income from royalities.

Asher, because a windfall tax is on super profits. It is not a tax in the real sense. So now if oil goes to $10 and SOL goes broke, then what. The gov just says, well we got our windfall and now sol must work it out? Without the windfall maybe they wouldn't be going broke?
0 Kudos
liquid
Contributor
RDB -notice TOP 40 broke a strong three week support @ 23,860? Whats your take on this?
0 Kudos
liquid
Contributor
Oh and FTSE free falling a bit.. whats up with that?
0 Kudos