Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

International travel- best way to carry spending money

move
Occasional Contributor
Hi guys... A bit off the topic... I'm doing some travel in a couple of weeks to Dubai and india. Just wanna know your opinion on the best way to carry money.. Cheque, credit, or Bidvest card? Cash? Travellers cheques? Any advice would be REALLY appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Copper
Regular Contributor
Bidvest card. Your rate is locked in and funds are valid for 5 years. However there is a limit to the transaction withdrawal amount. Cash passport from travelex is also good.
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Agree - use either Bidvest card or Cash Passport. Both work like ATM's / Debit cards - have used in many places around the world with no hassles.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I travel extensively for work. Can't speak for the bidvest card, but I use my ATM debit card exclusively. You get hit with anything up to R50 each time you withdraw, but the exchange rate you get more than compensates for this. Definitely the cheapest and safest way to travel with funds
0 Kudos
jaj
Frequent Contributor
I normally use my credit card at the ATM but ensure that I have sufficient funds in my account to prevent high interest charges. To buy cash foreign currency in SA is the most expensive way I think.
0 Kudos
move
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for all the feedback guys! really appreciated!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Get a Virgin Credit Card - load it up with the cash before you leave and then withdraw from any ATM worldwide with a R11 charge per transaction worldwide - no annual fee on a Virgin card and can withdraw up to R5000 equivalent per day.
0 Kudos
jaj
Frequent Contributor
On the subject.....I visited my private banker this afternoon and mentioned in passing that I was going to travel overseas in two weeks time. I was shocked to learn that I have to inform the bank of my International travels or my credit card transactions may be refused. Apparently they experience substantial fraud from international transactions. I travelled overseas twice this year with my credit card and she confirmed (with a straight face) that I was lucky. For general information, I'm using a Standard Bank Private Banking credit card.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an take local FICA docs, because nobody will legally change money without a proof of residence ..
0 Kudos
BLOCKOUT
New Contributor
6 of us were in India for 3 weeks and all our finances were done through american Express, and with no problems.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
until such time as you get a fraudulent transaction on your credit card - then you have real fun and games with your banks trying to undo it. Like those situations where rental car companies find 'dents' in your car weeks after you have handed it in, or some overzealous hotel tries to add to your bill after you have checked out. This is where the discovery credit card comes out trumps. They have a fantastic client support infrastructure. I had them reverse a fraudulent transaction done by Amazon (would you believe it? THat is another story though). The guys at discovery reversed it straight away, no questions asked. Try do this with Standard bank - I assure you you will have major trouble succeeding.
0 Kudos
Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
I was in Thailand, Bangkok, Phuket, Patong Beach in August and used my credit card everywhere ATM's on the street and in shopping centres. It is completely safe and secure. You have to advise your bank for the period you will be away for and have excess funds on your credit card. Take your debit card in case you need a back-up. Sure you pay commission but just don't draw small amounts. If you draw R 1 000 at a time is okay about 3,800 baht.
0 Kudos