Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Internet , Asdl or 3G

vusi_1
Contributor
Hi People , some advice on the above , what is the best in terms of cost and overall deals ? Thanks In advance ...
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tango
Super Contributor
My opinion is that ADSL is the 'best' connection if you are using a desktop computer and not moving around. Latency is lower than wireless connections, and the average throughput does not vary as much as with wireless. If you are after a fixed wireless connection iBurst is ok. If you need mobility then HSDPA from Vodacom is the winner, but prepare to experience wildly different performance depending on time of day, location, other users in the cell etc. ADSL speeds and caps will keep going up, they are being held back artificially at the moment. But most of the wireless connections are running close to the limit of the equipment currently deployed. And ADSL modems are very cheap compared to the wireless options.
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Agree 100% with Tango. I use Vodacom's HSDPA on my n/book (for up to 6 - 8 hours a day in diff. locations). With the recent pricedrop from Vodacom I find this a good value / quality solution. Callcente Support a bit useless.
0 Kudos
vusi_1
Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The Vodacom Call centre suppport is the BEST thing for a cell-phone tester. Promise.
I know some guys who test new designs on cell-phone loudspeakers. Instead of an automated voice feed they just dial into the Vodacom help line because it's so predictable and repeatable. And there's never any interference from those ****ing humans. Ever!
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
HSDPA from Vodacom is currently price-competitive with ADSL. But the hardware's real cost is much higher than ASDL hardware (just hidden in the contract), and I believe we should see much more speed and a higher cap for the same money on ADSL in response. So bottom line is that right now ADSL and HSDPA are competitive on price and performance. If you can get ADSL and are using a desktop, do it. If you want mobility, go Vodacom.
0 Kudos
vusi_1
Contributor
Thanks Much appreciated ...
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
anyone using sentech' mywireless?
0 Kudos