Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Intraday Timeframes?

jln
Contributor
What time frames should i use for intraday trading?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
CE
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
jln
Contributor
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Was just joking bro....
0 Kudos
jln
Contributor
Well i guess i was asking for it
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
I don't believe you can put a time frame to it anyway OMO.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
depends how aggressive you want to be. Trading on 1 inute tics is hectic, way hectic. Also the longer the time frame the less noisy a chart is (check a monthly chart). In short, no perfect answer, but anythng less then 15 minutes really is way to much noise.

Another idea is the three wave theory (can't remember the author, elder maybe?). This says, start at say daily, when you get the signal drop to hourly charts, when you get same signal drop to 15 minute and when you again get the signal enter the trade. And the 3 time frames can be abnything, as long as they different. Thinkt he book said, weekly, daily and then hourly.
0 Kudos
jln
Contributor
How do you trade the waves then?
0 Kudos
jln
Contributor
Thx for advice Simon.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and top tip. +/-99.9% of intraday traders loose money.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
yep. Elder. In "Trading for a Living" and "Come into my Trading Room". Calls it the 3-screen method. Multiply up roughly by about a factor of 5-7 to get appropriate levels to look at. So you could use 10-min, 1hr, and daily charts as your 3 screens (those are the three I would use). Another set could be 1hr, daily, weekly.
0 Kudos