Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Intraday trading

DRM
Occasional Contributor
I'm interested in trading intraday on the index. I was wondering if anyone else here does that? When I have heard other people talking about it the gearing always seems to be higher than what standard bank offers on the Satrix, am i missing something here?
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Not applicable
I trade the index intraday - maybe do a video and show a trade I am in now...
0 Kudos
DRM
Occasional Contributor
Wow, yes, that would be great. Do you have a very automated trading system? Surely there are tools that analyze the intraday market, looking for buy and sell signals. But I guess its never that easy.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
How you doing big boy, I was oh! So offended when you calles me camp!
0 Kudos
trigger
Frequent Contributor
Chartist, what platform do you use for your index trading? ta
0 Kudos
Not applicable
IG index ... video is being produced - will post as soon as finished
0 Kudos
DRM
Occasional Contributor
great! Thanks alot.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
What's your spread on the Top40 using IG? I thought the mandatory stop made it pretty wide
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hellishly wide - 45 points... stop is min 130 (this is for guaranteed limited loss trade)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
but I have to add - thats the price I am willing to pay for a relaible absolutely guaranteed trade - unlike the local guys they dont go on lunch or suddenly drop out of the market and leave you high and dry....
0 Kudos
RDB
Super Contributor
also very impressed with IG, always reply to e-mails promptly and always available on the phone - if UK sleeping diverted to Australia
0 Kudos
B_man
Occasional Contributor
Hi Guys I am using a local company IdealCFDs and trade on the same platform. Margin is R5000 per contract and you get R10 per point. Spread is 30 points. Regards B.
0 Kudos
DRM
Occasional Contributor
Wow, thanks, that was very detailed. I see trading is your full time job. Do you have blog/website or do you run courses in trading? You seem to be a good educator.
0 Kudos
Runbird
Contributor
Chartist, Nolan and I sit in the same office and we have been comparing notes on Fibonacci etc. Thanks for your video btw. We also trade the indices intraday and have started using fibs to great effect. I understand how to enter a trade using fibs and retracements, but my question is: How do you determine your exit level? For instance, I exited TOPDWI today for a 7.5% profit, thinking it might go down (when I'm unsure, I like to be in cash), but it has subsequently went further up. Could I have calculated this probability with fibs? I did have a good run with this, but could've let the trade run longer.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Be careful DRM, from what I hear, the price might not be palatable to you.. Then again, it might be right up your alley
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you have to ask - what made you exit the top 40? Unless you had a plan the only answer is fear - fear that you were going to lose profit. You have to have an objective target like a resistance level. You need to just be a robot - dont think when you are in the trade just excecute it - the thinking should be done before you are in the trade. My stop today is at 23450 (sell stop) of course I will be adjusting my stop loss up as we progress in the trade.
0 Kudos
DRM
Occasional Contributor
I'm busy looking into my options at the moment. I'd like to give it a try, although I'm just going to have to wait till I have a lot more free time on my hands. I'll still do as much learning as I can for now though and maybe try to get some practice in.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes I can read between the lines....
0 Kudos
Runbird
Contributor
Not really fear - just uncertainty. But my question is, how did you determine that stop?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
same thing - you have to be honest about your emotions....otherwise you will never be able to trade...
0 Kudos