Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Invest Overseas

Pauldelmas
Contributor
Can some one tell me how to invest direct on the stock exchange overseas for example Germany as a South African. How do I open an account and how do I follow upon this. Who can help me?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
jaj
Frequent Contributor
Open an account with a European Bank for example ABN AMRO and register with Tradebox. This really is an eye opener with excess to all the major European markets as well as Dow Jones and Nasdaq. Open the site in the morning and have live prices on all the markets troughout the day. The front screen is like a Christmas tree with red, (down) green (up) and yellow (sideways) lights flashing. Change bourse at the click of a button with your share holdings clearly at the bottom of the screen. No contineous log inn required during the day but log inn is required when you want to trade for security reasons. Phone number of ABN AMRO +31102407004. Good luck.
0 Kudos
geno
Occasional Contributor
What's the tax implications of doing this?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You will need SARS clearance and any profits are declared as income locally.
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
Are you sure it is taxed locally as income? What if you are not trading but investing abroad? Ie: you keep shares in Germany for 3+years for example. Shouldn't that then be taxed as CGT? Would there be no tax implications in the country that you are investing (ie: taxed both overseas and here?)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Income is residence based so you live in SA you are taxed in SA, No matter where you are paid/earn from.. CGT now thats another fish altogether. Thats the way our accounts are structured anyway, unless the laws have changed but I remember the whole tax treaty thing a few years ago to "repatriate". That way you are not double taxed.
0 Kudos
Pauldelmas
Contributor
What will the monthly cost be to open an account.
0 Kudos
Pauldelmas
Contributor
Can I do all this over the net. The bank ABN AMRO is this a good. what will the trading cost be monthly
0 Kudos
jaj
Frequent Contributor
@Pauldelmas. This is Europe my friend. Monthly cost of the current account, regardless of transaction lines, Euro 2.75. If you're registered with tradebox you pay Euro 4.53 for share safe keeping via your current account. Trade box is free. No monthly cos
0 Kudos
Pauldelmas
Contributor
Thank a lot JAJ very good information
0 Kudos
Lee_1
Frequent Contributor
Why not do all your trading with them then. Or at least all you can get out. Can you trade JSE with them
0 Kudos
porters
New Contributor
Call Lloyds TSB in Cape Town 021 674 1144 ask for Gavyn OR JHB, they will be able to open a Euro acoount for you which you link to a forex trading site.
0 Kudos
Pauldelmas
Contributor
How easy is it to trade and what will the cost be?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Consider SAXOBANK.COM.
0 Kudos