Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Investec getting a hiding

platsak
Super Contributor
Whats the investec exposure to the toxic assets?. Whats their prospects on the medium term. Anyone looking at bottom feeding this one. For that matter whats the best banking shares to aquire with the supports coming up again?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable
There are rumours that Investec invested in the Madoff-fiasko. I think that may be the mian reason why it is taking on a hiding at the moment.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There was a report (I think in Moneyweb) earlier this week that some of the UK clients were exposed to Madoff. (Speaking under correction, I remember a figure of 0.8% of assets under management.) Apparently they were not allowed to invest in Madoff's scheme in this country, so regulation saved their South African clients.
I'm not sure though that this is a big issue - all financials seem to be coming under intense pressure, what with all the latest "bailout" and "shareholder dilution" news.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Investec is doing great compared to its peers..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
RBS -75%, Lloyds - 40% and that was just in the last 2 days.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The difference between Investec and other major banks like Citibank or Bank Of America is the manner in which they handled the Public Relations side of the crisis. The stiff upper lip and limited if non-existent press releases from Investec was an indication to their clients that all was under control, which in fact it may well not have been. This prevented fear and panic, or the horror-of-all-horrors, a run on the bank.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what i find awesome that the world's biggest bank, citibank traded last night at $2.45 - R24.50 per share and our own SBK is trading at R75.00 per share and that citi is going to split up in many companies weird
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Banks still dropping and the plot thickens. Anyone thinking of going long if the October supports holds? Possible bear market/relief Rally coming up or not?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
They will continue dropping and rightfully so, as we havent seen the worst yet. Secondary bail-out and the fed must find the money somewhere.. As someone mentioned earlier, good banks should have been supported, and those in trouble should have been tossed to the wolves. The precident being set here is that if an institution screws up, government is there to bail them out.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Inl on 12 month lows. SBK nearing quickly. ABSA is the only strong peanut in the packet packet.
0 Kudos