Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Investec

Not applicable
Investec has been one of the hardest hit in this subprime debacle. I contacted their investor relations and they promptly replied by e-mail. Their total exposure to this market is GBP 30 000 000 out of total assets of GBP 26 000 000 000. A minimal exposure. Their outlook for the future is good and they do not understand the rumours about their exposure. Especially in LONDON.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
john_1
Super Contributor
Who did you call, and can you post there contact details please.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I spoke to their investor relations dept already last Friday and again yesterday. I also enquired by e-mail and they responded very quick. Tel. nr 011 2867000 e-mail: [email protected] The reply came from Ursula Nobrega. [email protected] You can speak to her. I will forward you their e-mail if you provide me with an e-mail address. I can be reachedon [email protected]
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
I think that part of the problem is that Investec can quantify their direct exposure to sub-prime loans - which is the figure you've been given. They can't quantify how much exposure they have to other assets such as bonds which may be backed by sub-prime loans. This is why BNP recently halted trading in some of their funds - they couldn't price the underlying assets.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I do not know but neither do the shareholders that are selling in panic. When I phoned on Friday I was told that their exposure to and in the USA is minimal.
0 Kudos