Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Investing in Low liquidity shares

WBuffet
Contributor
I would like to find out from the forum what the views are in investing in low liquidity shares.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
simple - don't. I won't touch a share doing less then R10million a day.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Simply cos when the S hits the F like right now, your buyers vanish. If you do it, know you holding through the bad news.
0 Kudos
Roboren
Occasional Contributor
Never again, even if it does look rosie! Learnt my lesson with Afro-c one time and battled to even sell below market value at the time. As far as I know Simon does not trade penny shares, thus having a R value cut off makes it difficult for low value shares. I normally look at ave number of trades per day. Above 100 should be ok but OMO.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Roboren, price does not indicate value (low or high)
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
well, if I followed the views expressed above, I would not have bought PNC at 40cps, SCN at 125cps, ADH at 50cps, ART at 250cps, etc. all 5 to 10-baggers for me. I guess each to his own. Investing in smallcaps according to a robust methodology and applying tested criteria could indeed be exceptionally profitable over time. omo
0 Kudos
Roboren
Occasional Contributor
I see what you mean. Makes sense, thx.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I learnt the hard way stick to the big guns ,chart patterns are easier and buyers are plenty- my opinion, rathere make 80% small profit trades than 5% big profit trades
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
topgun, sure and nice returns. But then you could have got DLG at 240c, IMU at 140c, JDH at anything etc. Depends which ones you had and how thick the S was. It is risk reward and I don't like the risk. Over the last year you could have bought; SOL below R200, AGL below R200, SBK below R70, etc. and if we go back to 2003/4 SOL below R100, SBK below R40, PIK below R15, etc. Lower risks all and rewards not shabby. Point is back to the begining, risk is not bad. As long as one understands it and accepts it. I personally am not prepared to accept the risk of lw liquidity.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
last point. Imagine having R100k in IMU, now you want to sell? You're either moving the price markedly or you're getting out slowly. Either way tis nasty. Of course "robust methodology and applying tested criteria" could help reduce risks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Princess Leiah does not like to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sup, lol, that be about right
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
I don't invest in rolling forward PE's above 13x which would disqualify most smallcaps at the moment and certainly DLG at 240 cps while my R20 m after-tax earnings criterium would have eliminated IMU by a mile. Current favourites ELR, YRK, GDN, PPE and SOV should, however, generate market beating returns over the next 12 months. omo
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
topgun, ya you have rules in place that make sense. With respect to most penny stock punters - they only have hope.
0 Kudos