Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Investment Managers beating the markets

Not applicable
Popular opnion seems to have it that Unit Trust managers do not beat the index over time, does that mean that Allan Gray are lying when they publish their Equity vs JSE graph?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
15% general equity managers beat the market ..
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
The *average* investment manager doesn't beat the market. If you're going to use unit trusts as an investment vehicle, the trick is to find those that *do* beat the market over time. They are out there. Allan Gray is one.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
The one thing you have remember about investment managers is they are selling a product to you. Figures and graphs can be represented in a number of different ways and I guarantee you they have a team of people that sits there figuring out the best way to represent performance. Everything will be framed to give the best possible picture, even though strictly speaking it will be valid numbers being used.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
P.S. investment managers as a whole cannot consistently outperform the market, because if they did they would effectively be outperforming themselves. I thought it was 20% of managers that outperformed but my research is maybe a bit dated, that 15% of managers is constently changing its composition however.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
i see you're alive and kicking! ;)
0 Kudos