Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Investment themes

sponono
Super Contributor
When SA was awarded the FIFA world cup the obvious beneficiaries of this event were, amongst others, construction companies because stadia had to be built. The question is what would be the theme for the next five years and which stocks should one pick today to benefit from that theme. I'm thinking HIV/AIDS and renewable energy would be the two important theme. Cipla and IPSA should feature here. Any takers?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
Water. I have been watching Omnia who have licensed a Water treatment technology from the USA, but their Directors are so busy dumping shares I'll wait a while..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Tobacco, gambling, beer and wine... this recession is not going away any time soon..go defensive
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
a friend advised me on Cipla med last year when it was R3.20, and i did not listed and now its at double the price.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
I can remember being so scared of buying Captec bank at a price of R78. Look at it today 70% later.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Ultra defensive stocks would be the safest - food,pharmaceuticals and pvt. hospital groups - sin stocks only partially so.I agree that long term water will become a scarce commodity, as will power sources.It baffles me why S.A. does'nt develop wind and solar energy farms ,an ever increasing source of energy all over the world.
0 Kudos