Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Ipad

raps
Frequent Contributor
Is there anyway that I can us the sot website and view graphs on my iPad. I know aplenty does not support java, but is there anyway I can get around this?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
raps
Frequent Contributor
Apple
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
buy a samsung ?? or get the xoom when it launches ??
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The Xoom tablet is trim, light, and very pretty ... but when you place it next to the iPad 2, it looks as though it was designed and built by angry Soviet prison labor instead of by Motorola.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/4102335-452/apple-ipad-2-is-here---and-the-tablet-contend...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but I don't buy for prewtty .. I buy for working and letting me do what I want .. not what ome CEO thinks I should be allowed to do ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
At one point the cry was 'we won't support non-standard security' because Webkit wouldn't do what SBK Decided. Lucky for us, that got reversed. Now it's Java & Silverlight. It's possible that SBK will influence the choice of tablets for traders all over SA, and it's also possible that the direction of influence will go the other way at some point. Nobody knows, but I perceive it as SBK being somewhat arrogant, not Apple.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Huh ?? come on, with respect somebody spiked your coffee this morning .. any arrogance here is Jobs, you gotta see that even if an apple fan boi .. an arrogance not always a bad thing, sure it is how things change .. but ..

so some chappie launches a new product that does excellent and sells 10million in a year (but compared to how many devices that actually do run these applications? how many PC's on this planet/country) .. an you suggest that websites must rush out and spend time/effort/money to completely redesign for the how many iPad users in SA ?? frankly me thinks the many many more PC users would prefer the website continue an upgrade path that works for the majority rather than knee jerk every time some minority device comes along .. an sure one day maybe there will be 10million iPads in SA, then the big websites will adjust accordingly .. but this tablet war is a long long way from resolved ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Yes, it's not resolved, which is why I said "Nobody knows". I've also defended, on this forum, your decision to do what you did and for the same reasons you mention here. But you (at the time) guys basically chose a horse (Silverlight) at exactly the time where we're getting a sea-change in technologies. Unless somehow MS wins the tablet war, it's likely to be Apple or more likely Google. Neither support Silverlight.

Anyway, again it wasn't a horrendous decision and the main thing is leveraging it to maintain parity with SBK's competitors or, where possible, an advantage, given your chosen customer base. But telling users what technology to use is arrogant. If you have enough power, it works. It's the original definition of a killer app. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_application

But it does leave SBK open to challenges. For anyone trying to beat you (er...them) at this game, one no-brainer choice is to use the most open platforms possible. SBK is a website. Tablets are a trend. I'd rather bet on the trend.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
You make some good points, one I like best is "SBK is a website. Tablets are a trend" .. websites will be around for every in changing guises .. Tablets may all be disappeared in a year or 4 .. remember a year ago it was all about netbooks, I know somebody who redesigned his entire website to work better on the smaller netbook screens, and now ??

Also tech and their tools change on a dime (as the iPad shows us), a huge corporate website is not able to change on a dime .. they will always be followers not leaders .. that's universal .. and frankly the hack for tablets is apps .. the issue here is that you have to make 4 apps (apple, rim, ms & android and a number of android versions at that)) ..

And a last point in case anybody missing it .. I don't work at SBK any mores .. I just in this debate coz I enjoying it :)
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Yeah, I have a decision to make now on multiple apps and devices vs HTML5 etc, for a couple of projects. I reckon the app landscape is here to stay, but I'd still rather start with a very slick web app and selectively support devices natively if the demand is there.

Btw, how are all the new ventures going? I have a link under my money folder for justonelap, but it's still very quiet...

If somebody would spike my coffee, I'd be very appreciative - the day is going just a bit too slowly.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, your coffee .. spike it yourself ??

JustOneLap .. I in cpt this weekend for IT hand over .. if all smooth then go live date is 14 March.. if not smooth then maybe a weeks delay ..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Simon, let us know when the site is up and running, i am very keen to check it out :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Seeing that an IPad can't even play a normal DIVX encoded AVI, I wouldn't take the moanings of these Jobs' disciples too seriously. Its easier for Mohammed to go to the mountain than the other way round.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Uh...disciples? Here's a comment of mine from a few months back:

"I'm wary of developing for the iPhone. Jobs is a tricky oke and you never know when he'll turn around and nail you.

Look, I have an iPhone and it's very nice, but Jobs has his own agenda that isn't just milk and cookies for his beloved user. Many partners have found that out the hard way, many iPhone app developers really don't like him (or Apple) either."
0 Kudos