Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is Telkom a public or a private company?

Mine
Contributor
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DCTrader
Super Contributor
Ummmm... Public... If it's listed, it's public. Private has (Pty)Ltd at the end of it's name and wouldn't be found on the stock exchange...
0 Kudos
Mine
Contributor
I need information from them and in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information act, should they be a Public entity, majority shareholding belonging to Government 38.8% and Public Investment Commissioner (Invest on behave of Public entities)16,20%, I don't need to state my right to this information. If they turn out to be a Private company (i.t.o the Act), I have to. Question is what are they?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
They are a public company. There are many public companys who have majority shareholders owning more than 50% of the shares in the company. For example, many AltX companies only list 20% of their shares the day they list. I assume that you mean you have the right to information and that you don't want to give a reason or pay a fee?
0 Kudos
Mine
Contributor
If they are a public entity (majority shareholding by goverment) I don't have to state my right. I am just not sure what the Public Investment Commissioner investment would be regarded as. It appears to be Government pension funds. Together it is more than 50 % and would then be regarded they same as Eskom (Government owned). They notified me that I had to state my right. I am not sure about that.
0 Kudos
Ditzy
Frequent Contributor
my understanding is that Telkom is a public company not a public entity. The PIC is no longer Commissioner but Corporation, ie they are a private company but answerable to Trevor for the investment and administration of government retirement/pension funds. As a listed co, Telkom is expected to disclose certain information as per the JSE regulations beyond the requirements of the company's Act and under PAIA you pretty much can get anything you need from a listed co. But you do need to state your business in obtaining the info, that could range from being a prospective shareholder to knowing whom you need to complain to when your phone does not work. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos