Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is anyone else a little concerned?

GdM
Frequent Contributor
Last week, global stock markets finally woke up to the fact that all is not well with their cousins, the credit markets. The FTSE 100 ended the week down more than 100 points, as concerns about the US subprime mortgage market started to spread to other areas. Of particular concern is the leveraged buy-out market, where deals agreed months ago are running into funding troubles. Given that the M&A and private equity booms have been one of the key driving forces behind recent stock market gains, it's no surprise that the prospect of the boom ending has dented stock markets. And investment bank Morgan Stanley reckons there could be a lot more to come. Full article http://www.moneyweek.com/file/32544/will-stock-markets-see-a-14-plunge-next-month-.html
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Brazen
Super Contributor
No concern. I just use pullbacks to re-enter the longs from which I've taken profit. My pile just keeps growing and when it's finally the big one I'll lose on that trade. But all the upsides I've had for the last few years make that loss insignificant. Basically, long til you're wrong.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Not to drone on or anything, but I do keep taking profits and I manage risk. All manageable sized trades, no balls to the wall stuff.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
agree... longer term trades just seem to end up sooooooooooooo much more profitable???
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
Yeah, these private equity and M&A deals remind me of the AOL Time Warner deal a few years ago. Personally, I think the credit bubble will be the undoing of the markets. We'll see whether their clever spreading of the risk in the credit markets will actually make a difference, or just prolong the bubble's inevitable pop.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dude, i'm also waiting for the POP... this run has almost been too good to be true..
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
For sure TZ, longer term and long. It's been the way to make the easy money, no question about it. And calling tops - why bother? The market will let you know.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
I believe the market knows everything and will let you know when something is about to change. The skill lies in being able to spot the changing conditions and then to make the required changes to your portfolio, trading method, etc.
0 Kudos