Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is it possible to trade NewGold?

Not applicable
Is it possible to trade NewGold? Seems overly complicated for my little brain. If gold goes up but the rand goes up I lose. If gold goes down and the rand goes down I could win...sheesh...is there anyway to trade gold in dollars?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
in short no, and that's because you earn in rands and spend in rands so even if you bought US$ and then traded gold in US$ the net effect would be the same. The only people really able to purely trade gold in US$ are yanks who earn/spend US$.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mmmmhh I see the point. I was thinking more a long the lines of only having to take 1 variable into account i.e. which way the gold price was moving and not 2 i.e. which way is the R/$ moving and which way is the gold price moving...but I guess relative movement is all perception. Does this mean as South Africans gold is not a good investment? If the gold price goes up then the rand strengthens and our relative gold price remains flat....guess I will have to go to the charts.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well rand/gold is at or around all time highs. Just that the move has not been as exciting as US$Gold due to the rand strength.
0 Kudos