Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is there a site were I can post about service disasters..Re Plummers

john_1
Super Contributor
I have had the most increadably negative experience from a company called Pipeline Plummers in Cape Town and wanted to know if there was a trade site that allowed me to post details, also perhaps provided legal structure if I choses to persue a legal route?
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
grommet
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I would love post a few about Discovery.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
If you looking for a good plumber I can recommend Monster Plumbing out here in Somerset West. I believe hello peter is a good place to complain.....I find the best way is to simply withhold payment indefinately.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes Topgun is correct the best place is ... Institute of Plumbing South Africa
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
John as the resident forum plumber and a senior member of the Transvale underground Rodding department and Wealthy Artisan Yids union. Better known as TURDS AWAY. I feel you should have made your complaint directly to the company concerned and not let loose on this forum, which is infested with engineers and other such would be plumbers. Last week some one was selling Liberty Policies, now you are attacking Plumber who are already self conscious because no body wants to shake there hands.You should be more forgiving when i first came to this forum many years ago i was forced to unblock chartist pipes on more than one occasion before i was allowed into his inner sanctum.Did i complain to the forum no i just took it like aman.
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
No, let the truth be known! Companies providing bad service should be named and shamed.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Simba I agree. But his tardy work has cost me close to 100 000 rand its being going on for 3 years and now this is the third time I am having to rebuild my shower. He come in on thursady take one look at the water running out of the wall and says it is his his fault and will fix it.. comes in on Tues makes a hole in the most critical area of the water proofing and then disapears and has not come back.. so I am sitting with hole in my wall, and now its my problem. I have raised the issue with him, only guess what, he does not answer his phone that lives on his face when I call...and the joke if he had simply done it as asked the first time this would NEVER have happened. My original brief was cut out all water pipes replace and return to use... that has never been done!!!
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
In situations likes this I tend to remember: My story, your story ...and then there's the truth. I refuse to being black mailed by clients threathening with the "press" (the ANC is goiing to outlaw that anyhow). I am not n plumber. I have not ever turned a cold shoulder to a gentleman putting his case but, yes, I love to ignore those that threathens with police, malema,press,skoonma,lawyer,dominee and the dog.Its fun. John, take one step back, sit down and try again to resolve.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I have a victoian home with mud bricks its 120 yearsd old. The walls arround the shower start to show signs of leaking, but the dionostics of where its coming from is confused by the fact that it is also next to a chiminey so it is possible the water has entered from rain... without being able to determine the exat cause I instruct him to remove all piping from the shower, check for leaks, the completely re waterproof and then tile and rebuild... we found a leak near a tap so rather than continue cutting he is convinced that this is the cause but I insist on seeing all the piping. so they leave and days later return to rewaterproof and tile.. unhappily but not having had experience I accept his view on condition that if the leak continues he will redo the shower ripping out all the pipes...six month later in the middle of summer ther is clear signs of new leking and the exposed wall has shown no signs of drying..So I callhim in and he "hears" dripping on the main line coming down from the ceiling and gyser, so he chops the wal right up to the point that it intersect with tiles..(because if he removes a tile its for his account. All of a sudden the "sound" disapears. but the leak continues and after 6 weeks of waiting for him to honour his orriginal agreement I concead and agree to pay just show me all the pipes... again a new leak is found and again he does not want to keep cutting.. we left just 1 metre of down pipe unexposed. But I pay despite fiding the second leak. Still the wall does not dry. in mean time I have now got dry rott in the wodden floors, I have had to rebuild the floors in 2 rooms re plater the walls, etc etc.. At this time I call in a builder friend who tells me about gas detection I call them in and within 10min they find a gushing leak in the down pipe.. 10cm below were he stoped cutting and the true sourse of all this drama.. once fixed by a different plummer wall dries..
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Never work on pipes that old - rather curt off the supply and install a new distribution. All this cutting etc would then have happened anyway. By the way - is the plumber listed? If he was this is a good forum to advise disinvestment :-)
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
As a newly married plumber my next door neighbour and i were working on my central heating boiler, i was in the kitchen bleeding the radiator and he was in the garage,flat on his back with his head and shoulders under the boiler adjusting the gas pressure. My wife arrived home and when saw me working under the boiler,she bent down and grabbed my wedding tackle proclaiming come in side big boy and work on my pipes. She was very embarrassed when she saw me standing in the kitchen and my neighbour walked in with blood streaming from a head gash...........
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
hey john, ya, its frustrating but no matter what anyone on this forum has said, that plumber deserves to be tarred and feathered. if there is a leak in a supply pipe then it already demonstrates an inherent weakness in all of the piping. not only will you probably have to start replacing piping all over your house, but if you repair only a small section of where a fault is found, then VERY shortly thereafter there is a VERY good chance of further leaks appearing. you were 100% correct in insisting it to be done your way and any plumber worth his salt would have himself insisted on doing it that way anyway. my house is only 9 years old, but the builders tried to cut corners on the plumbing and i have had to re-plumb everything but our en-suite which is sure to follow soon. plumber is there right now merrily chopping away chunks out of my walls. it is HE who insisted and said "do it properly and then you wont have an issue".
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hehe, sounds all too familiar, this is why when I have any plumbing done I make sure all pipes run on the outside of the walls... might not look the most attractive but no more trying to hunt in vein for leaks and breaking down half the house...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
To finish the Story... on Thursday last week I see water running through the tiles..I think its a water proofing issue not a leak..so I call him and say please come take a look. He does and takes one look and says its his fault and he will fix it.So On Tuesday he arrives knocks out the travetine tiles arround the taps down to the floor puts a hole in the water proffing where the floor and walls meets, then packs up and leaves...He has not returned and when I called him this morning he said that I should refer all further corrospondence to his lawyer... let me just use this oppertunity to say Trevor Button from Pipe Line Pluming in Cape Town is a dishonourable man and bad news and if you don't want this to happen to you never use him and if you like your friends you will spread the word..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
John, remember the Consumer Protection Act is upon us....this act will investigate this issue for you and take steps to rectify all for free. My advice would be to lodge this with the CPA ombudsman ASAP. Secondly, you may want to take his advice and lodge a case against him in court. You will win, the court will attach everything he owns to pay you back and you will feel a sense of satisfaction whilst doing the general public a huge favour. Some things are worth fighting against as the sense of outrage is high, this is one of those, don't let him get away with it.
0 Kudos