Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is there a way to outperform the index ?

john_1
Super Contributor
I am interested to know if any of you have a stratergy that will alow you to CONSISTANTLY outperform the index. Or of you infact think that this is possible.(Remember that 90% of funds fail to do so.)
0 Kudos
40 REPLIES 40
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
John ,birthday coming soon 19 May , if i am correct?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Last year around this time , you told me to buy SOL..Ironic isn't it?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well preston the Q is, did you buy SOL a year back ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
18 May 2007, SOL close = 27600c
09 May 2008, SOL close = 47790c
john, that beats your index ?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, I was too wet behind the ears at that stage.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, that the point i was trying to bring across. Bit too lazy to do the calculation. Simon tell me about your Lazy system of trading?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
when 30 EMA is above 60 EMA, then long only (if below then shorts only). Then when index EOD closes up through 15 EMA, go long next day if green. I am currently long on lazy system, since early last week.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
this is true but I be very clever!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
GL
Contributor
Simon - is this on top 40 or any share? And when do you close the trade - I'm assuming when the price moves below the 15 day?
0 Kudos
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
I'm fine tuning a low-risk system with Top40 call warrants. (I know, I know, warrants are high risk). So far this is what I have: TOP40, call warrants only (puts are higher risk as the market always goes up, long term. downs are merely corrections and usually short lived). BUY: When RSI oversold & ROM @ 0.7. SELL: easy :-) 10% trailing stop loss. I'm trying to get a simple system working that will make more money than i'm losing. Needless to say, January took me back to the drawing board... but it worked like a charm last year... (though, I think, any system worked last year...)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
top40 only. exit is initially 20% stop on warrant and then lower lows EOD on the index when stop = entry price.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Wumpus, a low risk warrant system is exactly what one wants. You got market risk, product risk, cost risk, slippage risk. Why add more with a high risk system. And be careful of the bear .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon. Why don't you come join the rebel group and start making money for yourself instead of SFM???
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Simon, just a couple of questions on your lazy system; where do you set your profit orders from entering Green EOD cross 15EMA? also for e.g. refer to 27 mar 08.. EOD crossed 15EMA,would you BUY at market on open the very next day or at a limit order? (there couldve been a big gap up,lets say 300-500pts - would you still enter in this case?) Secondly you say initail stop 20% trailing warrant right, do you also place a stop at same price as entering incase market goes other direction the very next day?
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
Flip, why cant South Africans see the wood for the trees!!! It is John's birthday on the 19th, surely that is more important. John, where is the party?
0 Kudos