Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is there a way to outperform the index ?

Maggie
Super Contributor
Blonde moment, forgot to ask. Hey John, how old are you?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
27 Mar I didn't enter as it reversed the next day and I need a green day following the trigger to confirm the entry. So I went long the next week on the second break of the 15 EMA. I buy at 4.30pm the day after the EMA cross, if the direction confirms and immediately set a 20% stop on the warrant/wave. And I always enter regardless of price I have to pay.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Thanx Simon, I understand your system now.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hi Maggie. I will be 36 years young, and the Party is at Simon's house. He has agreed to host a party for all the forum members and don't worry about what to bring. We will be using his expense account SFM will be talking care of things.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
John will enter 42 year old on the 19Th of May..
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
Yes, there is John. I have, but not on this platform though. I'm sure your system does as well. If 90% of funds don't then 10% equal or better it!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
JDT email me at [email protected] I am interested to here the details of what you are doing.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
JDT...those that better it do it by a really marginal amount...1 or 2 %...of course these results are all conveniently ex costs ...usually there is a whopping buy in fee....you know I went to a Stanlib fund manager with a friend who asked me to go along...do you what this guy had the audacity of doing....he pulled a real customers statement and then chose the best 3 months performance which he nonchalantly highlighted with a flourish of his pink highlighter....it showed growth over the three months of 35%....he went on to talk about how we need to get onboard as soon as possible....although this seemed to be a very well practised move I think he was genuinely surprised that I was not stunned by these results...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
So chartboy if you ran a fund, maximum of 10% in any share do you think you could produce a prospectus that would alow you to consistantly over 10 years outperform the index...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
Chartist, I agree with you. I've seen similar presentations. The figures look impressive to people with little knowledge of indices and stocks. When going to a presentation like this - as with most things in life, it's more important to know what you don't know. Your friend seems to be wise for taking you with.
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
Point is, that extra 1 or 2 percent compounded makes a difference in the long run.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
exactly , sleeping on a train track and not getting hurt is not proof that it is safe to sleep on a train tracks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I would acknowledge Nassiem for that...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
done.. But he has some interesting things to say about standard deviation you should look at.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John I have read both books...
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
I think the asset management industry sells the public an lie.Who really performs better Allangrey,Investec etc in the long run they all pretty much hold the same instruments and function of market return
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Short answer (and the only answer) is none...over 10 years none do...simple
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Talking about indexes...this is a really interesting bit of information....even the index managers the guys that manage say the S&P 500 (in this case the company Standard and Poor) dont outperform the market...although the S&P 500 is a benchmark it needs to be reconfigured from time to time....if you took the original S&P 500 companies the S$P would actually be higher than it is today...so the moral of the story...over time the more you fiddle the less you make....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja so where does that leave people like me...cause I fiddle...god do I fiddle ...sometimes 30 times a day...?
0 Kudos