Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is there any way to put a minimum quantity when selling?

Maggie
Super Contributor
Is it possible to put a minimum quantity when selling. It really annoys me when, for example, you put 30,000 shares on sale at R.150 and some dumpling comes along and buys 100. You then end paying the minimum brokerage charge of R70.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Blik
Super Contributor
Not that it helps, but Simon is going to say thats the risk you take when not selling of buying at Market. A mate of mine once bought 1 share worth 180 cents, which went through for that day, and incurred a cost of about 80 Rand brokerage. The rest of his buy went through the next day, so some muppet sold a single share. It provided me with lots of chuckle value.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you can't put a min .. you can however adjust your price and still only pay one brokerage .. but this is a free market .. all that is required for a trade is agreement on price .. nothing more ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Illiquid shares can create those problems. If solve it... u can attract more customers. 5% of ASA and NED traders will join OST
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
Ok, this needs a woman to solve this. Thinking......
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I've figured out how to solve it! But I won't tell how - I'm afraid of being subjected to gender testing...
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Yes Maggie ..save me some money like I save for u every noun and then
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but it is the JSE system, we are unable to solve without gettign the JSE to change their system (actually methodology rather then just system - it is the principles on which the JSE operates) .. so in short - not going to change ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Maggie.. what you can do is put your order in in batches of 100 or 1000 at and arround your price that way you trade your price up not down and you get the market to move in your favour..it all about the game. This is a market place after all...may I sugest a tip to a open market place this weekend it is surprising what you can learn watching a savy trader or 2.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Great tip john, thanks, makes sense, like a mini market mover, lol
0 Kudos