Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is this a time to be bullish?

Not applicable
Went to dinner with a group of ppl last night and they are all bright professional ppl who have some money invested in the market...the conversation was dominated about how they were worried about their retirement and capital erosion....they were pressing me for answers to the worrying question they had about the stock market...As a rule I don't give advice to friends and family (cause I dont know the answers)...I could see some of them were really hurting...some so much they had called up the broker and given the panic capitulation call....this got me thinking.....is this a time to be bullish?....is there now money which is looking to find a home? how many others have done the same...cause history will show that when ppl like my friends start selling thats exactly the wrong time to be selling
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Galuc
Super Contributor
I am nervous of the market, the individual comments from the "pros" locally and abroad are all over the place (nothing new I know). Anyway, I have liquidated and sitting this ride out. Next week is another week!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
spoken like a true pro...
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
I think the time is near. For what its worth. I started buying into what I perceive as value.
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Cruising
Contributor
Got to get into cash. Good returns now
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Well chartist..this appears to be a recurring cycle where investors get bullied into selling. It happened to me earlier this year because of that all too famous cliche - "its different this time" 'Bright professional ppl' in no way implies intelligence. It is a faculty of the mind. Intellect, on the other hand, is completely different it requires filtering of the mind and infusion of ones experience and control of emotive response. Intelligence these days seems only to apply to ones academic proficiency which is in effect..inept. This is the reason why many 'bright, intelligent ppl' make constant irrational and frankly stupid decisions.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I'm experiencing that pannicky "sell all long term holdings" feeling. With that, any SA based assets whatsoever - including properties. The other side if that urging is telling me that this is probably the time to start searching for a few good bargains, including properties on auction. On that note Chartist, what is your view of delistings in this market? There are companies where the share price is marginally higher than NAV per share - leaving some major shareholders feeling that their stock is a little under-valued, should ALTX companies, which have been hammered in recent times, look at de-listing - or riding this thing out?
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
Chartist does have a point though. My best profits have always come after a period of pain. The darkest hour before the dawn. Many hang in through a correction and sell just as it turns and then hesitate because they just got burned only to enter once most of the profit is already off the table.I would be long right now except for the Tito factor though my gut tells me it won't be as bad as we think but my gut lies like a cheap watch and hence my position in cash.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Chartist, today 3pm is setting up for a HUGE 1-2-3-move! With so many people supposedly on the sidelines and in cash, if TM comes out with 50bps, that door will not be big enough for all piling back in!
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Well, I don't know. There's just so much interest to be earned in the money market - there again, ALSi seems to be beckoning 12% in a matter of days ....
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
By the same logic a 200 point increase and the same door will be too narrow to get out?
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Greenspan once spoke of Irrational Exuberance. Seems like we may have a dose of Irrational pessimism here.I,m no expert but returns after tax in the money market hardly beat CPIX,if at all. Over time equities always have.Buying opportunities are popping up all over.OMO.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think people are far too worried about external factors at the moment. Times like these the rich get richer and the middle income earners suffer due to not sticking by their trading plans. Simple game this really, have a stop loss, if it hits, you are out, if it doesnt you are in. Do not let external factors cloud your decision making. Me, im an optimist, i have my money in where i think is best. Luckily i am young enough to start over if all goes t*ts up, but i am probably one of the only people asking tito to please put interest rates up 2%. And again in August. ill take the hit now in cash flow if it allows me get into more investments at a cheaper price. Look at history? Have we ever not come out of it...when USA went into recession last year how many people flogged the market...we were talking of the crashes in 1929 and so on, a few months later teh jse breaks an all time high. Guess who profited. Yes the people that dont let external factors influence their decision making!
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Striker my exact sentiments regarding holding cash. Guaranteed loss IF you pay 40% tax. Keep up the optimism, it will pay off in the long run.
0 Kudos
Major
Regular Contributor
I aint selling, but neither am i buying yet. Sitting on some cash and waiting... Maybe start nibbing on some financials and retailers later in the year, but I don't think their pain is over yet. Wait for the turn, then pile in.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
I am an investor-I have been out of market for 2 years-I am in aggressive buy mode-may have to wait for 2/3 years for capital reward but div income is already on upward trend-I welcome the correction in property,retail and financials-there are some decent buys out there.omo.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
You speak my language Geordie Lad.
0 Kudos