Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Its this time of the year again...

Werner_1
Super Contributor
I thought it would be great for us to reflect on our performance for the year... So... what is your profit/loss for the year starting 1st January 2014? just a number would be good to discuss, we all know that the All-Share and Top-40 didn't do that great this year, but it would be great to see how the guys on this forum faired during the year... lets see if we made or lost money... I made 26% profit on my overall portfolio (remember long term, long only portfolio)
0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
BlueDolphin
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
conradl
Contributor
-3% due to downturn in commodities (SOL -17%, BIL, -24%). With dividends included, 0% or breakeven.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I currently only trade Simon's Momentum portfolio(Top 40). Even though it technically is trading I consider it to be my long term and more of an investment portfolio. It runs from 1 March to 28 Feb and currently on 14,5% before Divs. We'll see what happens until Feb but outperforming the benchmark once again by a large margin (I think its just over 3% over the same period) Looking to split the portfolio into the Top40 and the Midcap for the coming year. Only thing is if and when a major correction comes the Midcap might take a beating. Perhaps better to wait for the next major correction and split then, but who knows when that will be. Can be tomorrow or in 10 years.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
98% since Feb 09!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
well done guys... conrad, don't worry too much, i think commodities will have to pick up again sometime and if you are still long on them you will some good gains in the coming times... Lets see what 2015 holds for us all... I am very excited!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
what about the last year only?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
well done though! its always great to see the profit!
0 Kudos
EyeNvest
Contributor
my long term portfolio ~10% ytd. managing my wifes long term portfolio ~24% ytd ;}
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
31,2%. I have long ago, refined my selection, and worked well this year with only exposure to oil being BIL. Best performer is MPC , worst BIL.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
RAM, whats your thoughts on the recovery of oil though?
0 Kudos
AP
Regular Contributor
5-7%...significantly down from last year's 26% when i started. However, paid my school fees this year. Thought i was clever and took significant risks (against my own rules). Lesson learned - stick to ones plan! (if i did my profit would have been +20%...)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
as long as a lesson is learnt all is good, its a profit so not too bad. putting all the lessons together will result in a great strategy over time, just stick to it!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
RAMS where are you staying in while in NYC? hopefully on the upper east side? Park Ave? :)
0 Kudos
Vypir
Contributor
85% for the year (I was on 165%, but Sasol #$%#$ me badly). Best performers: EOH and TKG (Telkom). I almost got hurt with TKG, but eventually bought back in at around R48... If was just a bit faster I could've saved another 30%, but, alas, I needed to pay the school fees :-)
0 Kudos
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
Werner..Caught part of a guy waffeling on about oil jan 28th? futures being up 400% on trades at $4o a barrel...can u shed any light?..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
This oil story is interesting. nobody seems to be able to tell when the drop will stop. my opinion is that it will not drop much more, but i could be wrong. we are now getting to a level that is critical for many of the producers, they will start running into issues if it comes much more down and this will not be good. perhaps some of the more expensive producers will start to cut production to stop this decline, OPEC and especial Saudi doesn't seem like they want to, they don't want to loose market share and with all these other producers contributing (USA Shale story) its adding more supply. someone will have to give in sooner or later, no way oil will fall to nothing, thats just not possible. so i think once this starts to turn it will be a great opportunity to make some cash in a trade... but lets see.
0 Kudos
Vince888
Regular Contributor
Vypir. How did you manage 85% for the year if your top performers were EOH and Telkom cause EOH only did approximately 39% for the year and your return on Telkom would have been around 45 - 48% if you bought at R48 and you said you were burnt by acquiring Sasol shares.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
very good question.. unless he used CFDs?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
which would have been a very risky bet on those two if you ask me. but well done, thats a huge gain, hopefully your strategy lets you keep up such type of returns.
0 Kudos