Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Its this time of the year again...

Werner_1
Super Contributor
which would have been a very risky bet on those two if you ask me. but well done, thats a huge gain, hopefully your strategy lets you keep up such type of returns.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Yes, spot on, Park and Lexington , 49th and 50th....you know the hotel there.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I have no real view on oil, but was a good buying opportunity for "oil stocks". I initially owned AGL and SOL, sold both and replaced with BIL, added lots BIL to my long term portfolio hence worse performer for now. I have SOL in a trading portfolio,short term, cash.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Nice one! Park Ave is the best! I just love that place!
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
Hi there Is there any way that a person can see what they made year by year without actually documenting at the end of last year and then doing a comparison with the end of the next year. I can pick up my total percentage of returns but not sure if it can be broken down year by year.I am up 81.1% in a 5 year period,not complaining : ) I see myself as a long term investor rather than a trader.
0 Kudos
Vypir
Contributor
Yes, I was gambling with CFDs (which is why Sasol hurt me so much). And the word is really "Gamble" I prepared was to write off a third of the initial investment (which for me was a big number)... Tried to be unemotional about the money, but when it doubled I got quite emotional :-). At one stage I was up about 165% but very badly exposed with less than 10% in cash and the rest in CFDs - VERY DANGEROUS!! And very nervous! The Telkom drop happened so fast I almost lost everything. I got really lucky in the end. At the moment I have about 60% in cash... Much better for my own health! The cleanest way I could figure out to determine actual gains was to pull the January statement to get the opening balance and add all the deposits through the year as well as subtracting all the withdrawals. I then compared it to the current balance to get a total profit...
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I work to the financial(Feb) and not calendar year, however at this stage not a great year for me my long term portfolios being quite badly hit by ABL, SOL my biggest holding) & BIL. At this stage, worst one is 8% and best portfolio is 11% mainly due to this years purchases which have saved the day. CPI 198, CBH 335 and delisted at 500, ARL 10400 (which I've was punting on this forum) RCL 1680 and LEW 6850. Currently thinking of getting into PPC and ARH in the next few days.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Ok So I have sat and worked out the last few years and added all withdrawals and deducted all deposits. 2011 was 22.63% 2012 was 13.45% 2013 was 22.85% 2014 was 5.27% till today. Shares I hold now are: ADW, ASC, DST, RFG, SRE, TAS, WEA.
0 Kudos
AP
Regular Contributor
Interesting reading. We should all place targets for 2015 and more or less at this time next year compare actual performance with targets. This can be very interesting...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Unfortunately I am not aware of such a year-on-year comparison, the simplest would be to take the december 2013 statement and the value at the end of today and compare this..I think we should propose to OST to build this functionality for us so that we can see very fast whats going on... e.g. I would like to see a chart of my overall portfolio in the same way one can see form the shares etc. then it will show the 1,3,5 year charts. etc.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thanks guys for the replies. yes, this year has been a bit wild and volatile, i had months come and go that started with huge negative movement but ending with great gains, very interesting indeed... CFDs are dangerous but one can manage to build them into your portfolio in a way that it leverages it to a small degree and then its not too bad (this is what i am trying out at the moment). And yes, giving some forecasts can be good, only problem is that i don't like to fix a number to 'guesses', but what i like to do is rather think of broad movements and strategic changes that will benefit volatile times.
0 Kudos
Vypir
Contributor
The one lesson learned is that nervousness is sometimes a bad thing. As EOH grew around 40% and TKG around 150% in one year and both leverages at about 8:1, if I had just let it be I could have realised 320% profit on EOH and 1200% (!!!!) on Telkom...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yes, one needs to build a strategy and stick to it, hell or high water, and then if the strategy works it will be very profitable, but one needs to also see when things done work so one can cut ones losses fast. its a bit tricky sometimes.
0 Kudos
Cedric_1
Contributor
If only--- is the name of the game for all of us and I've had plenty of those this year. "What was--" on my 3 portfolios was No. 1 +12.2% No.2 -5.4% No.3 +14.9%. No. 2 is my account and I play around with it!! No's 1&3 are my wife's and I want to remain married.
0 Kudos
iggy
Occasional Contributor
I had an ok year. I am more long term and am up 13.2% for the year and 340% over the last year. I have a mixture of both top 40 shares as well as the smaller caps. My big winners were Steinhoff, Super Group and GPI.
0 Kudos
iggy
Occasional Contributor
Sorry, that should have said 340% over the last 6 years.
0 Kudos
Chopchop
Contributor
I did 24 %, best performers were CGR, TOR, SNV, TTO, NTC but lost a bit on ABL and ELI.
0 Kudos
Fayzu
lucky you loss 7.5% need your ideas
0 Kudos
ms_moneybags
Contributor
Great idea to have that functionality built in on the platform. I for one would like to see year on year at a glance to determine annual profit. Simon would this be possible ??
0 Kudos
MarkD
Contributor
Any easy way to tell how you've done over a year? I've been investing long for the last 5 years, and have 144% growth. My estimate this year would be about 14%.
0 Kudos