Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

JZ 2009 - See you all in Australia

Preston
Super Contributor
Gida. i agree with your sentiments. There is a huge/vast amount of money that can be made in South Africa I am also starting to reap some of rewards from MAMA AFRICA.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Frankly I think Zuma will be a better statesman than Mbeki as he's got an ear to the ground unlike the latter who always felt the need to prove his academic and intellectual prowness amoungst a population that can't even spell those terms. I have been a student activist in the dark ol' days and an unflinching optimist ever since...until now! You see folks, it's not Zuma the man the troubles me BUT the supporters that elected him. They was no logic involved in their decision, just a tide of populism that eventually expects a merc and a house in suburbia for each and every one of their electorate....a similiar case to 94. Zuma does'nt have any freedom of movement here, contrary the his electorate beliefs in which macroeconomics is an alien concept. What happens when they (electorate) figures this out. If they can boo the current president for non-deliverance...what happens when even super J cannot deliver?? I suspect that in years ahead, the class gap would become ever wider until a critical mass is reached and then even the politicians would not be able to stop the tsunami of "take from the haves". Zuma will then have the choice of political suicide or ride the wave ala Mugabe style.....which do you think this survivor will choose. As stated initially fear the reasons why the man was elected, not the man.....this is a major social paradigm shift and is now a class war, not a racial one...and the former have just flanked us. I am planning to leave with my family in the next 12 to 18 months. This is merely my humble opinion.
0 Kudos
am_1
Frequent Contributor
Valid point Dinen but this "class war" will follow you wherever you go in the future. We live in a world of those who have and those who don't - not material wealth only but intelectual wealth. The gap is growing everywhere and your safest place will probably be Chagos. Stay and help make the difference here
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
reading this is so pathetic....seeing that you were a "student activist" in the dark old days who now can't handle the inevitable outcome of the bright new day.....stay and enjoy!
0 Kudos
smart_money
Occasional Contributor
As a great man once said: "be the change you want to see in the world". As another great man once said:" ...ask not what your ountry can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." If ever our country needed good, honest, hard-working, decent people it's now. I don't think history will ever quote a great man as saying:" umshini wami...". If that happens I might need to move to another planet, nevermind another country.
0 Kudos
TonyM
Occasional Contributor
People please have some faith and some positivity in jz, looking at the cabinet it does not look that bad, we have to stay and forget about moving to "better countries" i.e. Dubai, Australia, etc. lets rather focus on addressing the skills shortage in our country and stop running away from our problems and enriching already rich states with skills, think about this rassionally people?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
One wonders if this is the beginning of the end of the ANC
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Guys, its got niks to do with me but three very young kids. Yes, there are class wars everywhere, but entire families are not gunned down in their home over cell phones elsewhere. There is a radical difference in society these days with a shift to materialism all encompassing irrespective of cost. Yes, this is a worldwide phenomanon, but in SA, the cost is generally your life. I would give anything to see my son play soccer, cricket, rubgy, etc at the local park with the neighbourhood kids till 8 at night and run home for supper....just the way I did. Currently my fence is just getting higher, the electricity juiced up to kill and the kids have never walked outside the estate. The comrades of old were passionate righteous intelligent people who had a genuine need to uplift the people from the most dehumanising regime that existed....this has all changed now. I would give almost anything to see this country work, afterall we've come so far, alas, I'm not prepared to place my kids on RED and spin the roulette wheel.
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
Topgun at his benevolent best :) On a lighter note. Dinen - where have you been chap? Chuck has been asking about you...
0 Kudos
TonyM
Occasional Contributor
what happened to strong opposition parties?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
expat
Contributor
You poor people there in South Africa. Have you not seen the darkness dripping down, from Nigeria, through the Congo, over Zimbabwe (Complete night there), and now the barbarians have blown out the candle in South Africa because the electricity is already out a lot of the time. It's surely time for 'Black' South Africans to stand up and take some responsibility because you don't have many white South Africans left to do that for you!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
So what do we have here..."old righteous comrades" who created a legacy that evaporated in 13 years flat, punctuated by robbery, rape and murder. dinen as a "liberal" (and therefore credible?) is merely detailing the harsh realities that now govern daily life in SA. Incompetence and sheer ignorance is turning the country on its head with no apparent solution in sight....but hey, let's look on the bright side, we have a miracle economy set to grow at 6% p.a. ad infinitum without any spare electrical reserves....hahaha....much like the lifts at Joburg Gen that once functioned. Ah, well, JZ will sort all of this out, if you believe the comments above...
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
It ruins such a cool country for the young guys who have nothing to do with apartheid and have grown up in the "new" south africa. Why do you thing all the young qualified people are leaving SA and there is such a skills shortage? Din this is not a place i would be with my children. We have such awesome beaches along the east coast that you cant even stop at due to fears such as will my car be there when i get back, will hi-jackers be there waiting, what will happen to my GF on the beach while im in the sea.... FTS. Im so glad i have a big purple passport!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Shaun . I also have a purple passport but everytime i reach for it ,i am reminded about the quote that one of the most Brillant lecturer of all time use to tell his students. Quote 1. All thing are possible but not all things are benefical. Quote 2. Many are the devices of man but few are the plan of God. No wonder he is now occupying a prestige position at SAICA committee.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Probably why im still here... You a CA where do you work?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Yes and ask John he will tell you.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Victoria_1
Contributor
The reason why people with skills have been and are still leaving SA is because they cannot find a decent job here. So what are they to do? Steal? Starve?
0 Kudos